Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating Element Scorching
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Wait a sec dp ... I may have misunderstood your original post from today: Are you leaving the element off after you've turned it off? I presumed that you turned off the element with 15 mins left in the boil only for a minute or so while adding lactose, and then you turned the element back on again. That I wouldn't recommend as the lactose can settle on and coat the heating element and then possibly scorch when you turn the element back on. Best to just keep the wort moving with the element on the whole time.

If you're whirlpooling in the last 15 mins or so that would keep the wort moving so less likely to cause issues of course.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Wait a sec dp ... I may have misunderstood your original post from today: Are you leaving the element off after you've turned it off? I presumed that you turned off the element with 15 mins left in the boil only for a minute or so while adding lactose, and then you turned the element back on again. That I wouldn't recommend as the lactose can settle on and coat the heating element and then possibly scorch when you turn the element back on. Best to just keep the wort moving with the element on the whole time.

If you're whirlpooling in the last 15 mins or so that would keep the wort moving so less likely to cause issues of course.

Kal

I'm not the best at explaining things..lol

I turn the whirlpool on at 20 mins left. That kills the boil because of the heat transfer going through the CFC. I then turn off the element and add the lactose. The pump is still whirlpooling. After everything looks dissolved I turn the element back on. This time at 100% to get back to a boil quickly. I tend to keep it at the 100% the rest of the boil to offset the few mins the boil died.

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
I turn the whirlpool on at 20 mins left. That kills the boil because of the heat transfer going through the CFC. I then turn off the element and add the lactose. The pump is still whirlpooling. After everything looks dissolved I turn the element back on. This time at 100% to get back to a boil quickly. I tend to keep it at the 100% the rest of the boil to offset the few mins the boil died.

That should certainly work. As long as most is dissolved before you turn the element on there's no chance in scorching. I don't turn anything off myself, and instead just turn up the heat to 100% if adding a lot, and I always add slowly.

Some examples:

Adding ~1 lb of lactose to my Electric Creamsicle: https://www.instagram.com/p/CA3TVLrn4Ma/
Adding ~5 lbs of D-180 candi syrup to a Quad: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKcXWgJnxfY/

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: