Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

alternate yeast usage

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: alternate yeast usage Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Greetings 2021 hope it is a better year!
Can anyone tell me if Safele BE 134 can be used in place of BE 256 Dry Abbey?
I am getting ready to brew a Carmelite Triple-Grain Triple and want to stay close to the character but my local brewstore doesn't have the desired Wyeast or Safele that is listed 1st and 2nd in the recipe.

Thanks Kal & guys,
tkdjim
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and happy new year!

BE 134 is here: https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/SafAle-BE-134_Rev2.pdf
BE 256 is here: https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SafAle-BE-256.pdf

Can you sub one yeast for another? Yes. But that's only because any yeast can be used in place of any other yeast really. You can pitch any yeast you like into any wort. Other than maybe some yeasts that don't work on very high ABV beers, there's nothing stopped you from doing that. The results may or will taste different of course depending on the two strains involved however.

So with that said, I haven't used either, so I can't comment on what different outcome you should be expecting. It will make beer. Wink I'd suggest reading more about the strains in question to see what sort of flavours/outcome you were expecting vs the flavours/outcome expected by the yeast you want to use instead. See if it make sense to you. Part of the fun of course is experimenting. Interesting beers have been made when people start subbing out ingredients!

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: