Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Boston Area Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Boston Area Build Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Time to finally put a post together on my home brewery. Started planning a version of this a few years ago and actually started the work to finish the basement about a year ago. Hired a contractor for the basement but I did everything brewery related including the bar. Many thanks to Kal for his help on the bumps I hit and many others who have posted here…. I’ve spend countless hours reading and learning!

The basement is basically one large open space (permitting rules) with dance/workout, media, and brewery/bar space.

Brewery setup:
    Controller built by The Electric Brewery
    Three Blichmann Boiler Maker 20 gallon kettles
    Two Rip tide pumps
    Copper Convoluted chiller
    Two 14 gallon SS Brewtech conicals with heat and chill
    1/5hp Glycol Chiller
    SS sink with sprayer
    Two SS tables
    Condensate hood from Fasthood
    Barley crusher on a homebuilt cart with drill (Would have copied JohnyMac’s but Harbor Freight recently disconnected the cabinet)
    10 cu ft Keezer with homebuilt collar -holds kegs and Glycol reserve
    5 cu ft Freezer with a coil of copper that connects to tap chiller and Keezer - holds hops, dry yeast and other items
    CO2 tank
    Oxygen tank
    Beer gas tank
    ~ 8 buckets for bulk grain
    5 Liter flask and stir plate

Bar Area:
    6 tap Micromatic T post with 2 stout faucets (need to still install those… 1st stout almost ready)
    wine/beer fridge
    cabinets are from IKEA & the quartz counter top is from a local place near Boston
    Lots of glassware and all the fun beer tools. I think I’m almost done buying things but I’ve said that for a couple months now

Finished Brewery... Still deciding on bar stools.

Side view into the storage/refrigeration area

Side view #2

Bar View

Storage and Fermenters

Kal Thanks again for being a great resource

Kris
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful job Kris! Well done! You should be proud.

I like how the brewery equipment is very visible from the bar... gives it that "brew pub" feel to it. But maybe I'm biased as I did something slightly similar... Wink

Would you mind if I shared these on social media? I'd link people back here for the full details and only say it's a setup "by Kris in Boston". If you're ok with that and have higher resolution images that would be great too (though I can certainly use these) - you can email me at kal@TheElectricBrewery.com

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris sent me some higher resolution pics which I posted on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJWEp_8n4BK/

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Crazydogbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build! Are you south of Boston or north of the city. We live in Hanover and have a similar system. Would love to swap some beers!
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris,

Really nice build! Is that all vinyl or wood flooring? Looks really good.
DFB

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazydogbrewing wrote:
Nice build! Are you south of Boston or north of the city. We live in Hanover and have a similar system. Would love to swap some beers!

Thanks! Would be great to connect sometime.... trade beer and see how others use their setup. I'm more west. I'm in Littleton. Where do you buy your grain and other supplies? I may have been spoiled living in Chicago before but have found it a challenge in the Boston area. I finally found a place (Tamarack) in Lakeville, MA that sold bulk grain at a reasonable price. I haven't actually been inside as they just curb sided it for me.

Kris

Last edited by DFB on Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DFB

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walts Malt wrote:
Really nice build! Is that all vinyl or wood flooring? Looks really good.

Thanks Walts Malt. It's a Coretec product. https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/products/coretec-plus-xl-enhanced/logan-oak-vv035-00906

I'm really happy with it for the brewery. I tried to ruin a sample of it before selecting held up really well. I wanted one type of flooring for the entire basement (sans girls dance space) so I needed something durable and nice enough for the rest of the basement.

Kris
Crazydogbrewing

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my stuff from home brew emporium. They all bulk buys a couple times a year. Thats the only place I have gone so far but would keep looking for more full sacs to purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: