Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating Element Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mach7900

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Heating Element Question Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Currently have a heating element attached to Boil kettle using a weldless 1.5" TC triclamp. The setup has worked fine with the exception of the small space inside the weldless clamp and heating element which collects hop particles. It can be difficult to clean that small area. When we were researching our e-brew design, I remember seeing a heating element which had the same weldless TC clamp which had either silicone or epoxy filling the space. Cannot find that since...

Question, can anyone suggest a food grade high temperature silicone or epoxy they have used for this purpose? Any and all comments suggestions welcomed-thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Hard to understand without pictures, but if you've got this attached with a TC why can't you just remove the TC in order to clean things properly? That's the whole reason why people say they opt for TC designs: Because it's supposed to be easier to clean. Having to use some form of food grade silicone or epoxy to permanently attach the element seems to completely go against the whole idea of having the element be removeable with a TC, no? If you want to make it more permanent and not have hard to clean small spaces why not just go with the design I document here?: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements

This is the design I use (as do tens of thousands of brewers). I never remove my elements as I find it actually easier to clean as the kettle "holds" the element for me while I pass a brush or sponge over it.

If you do decide you want food grade high temp silicone sealant, see here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/food-grade-silicone-adhesive-sealant-75f-to-400f-food-grade-meets-mil-a-46106b-group-i-type-i-fda-compliant-usda-approved-nsf-51-certified

But I would caution against using a sealant on a design that by its very nature is meant to be removable. Something isn't right. If you have pictures please post as maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Mach7900

PostLink    Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Element w Pics Reply with quote

Appreciate the response. I should have attached a picture for clarification. I am attaching a picture now.

I understand & agree why people use the weldless TC option. I have been brewing on our setup for over a year now. I really like and prefer the TC clamp b/c it's so easy to remove and clean. The problem is the small space in the picture where material collects. It is a small space which is difficult to get a wire brush or wash cloth into to remove the debris. I have seen the same element with a filler to keep material from collecting in this area.

TC Element.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.44 KB
 Viewed:  6915 Time(s)

TC Element.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I can certainly see how debris could accumulate in that spot. Seems like a poor design. Our design doesn't present this issue.

I don't have a solution for you other than to not use that sort of element housing (I know, not very useful). Wink

I would suggest you ask however sold you these element housings for assistance on how to best clean them.

Good luck!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a suggestion, since I went with all tri clover connections in my build, I had a 2 inch heating element kinda like the one you show in the picture. I use keggles and I like to hose and scrub everything out after the brew day is finished. I didn't like dragging the cord that was connected and I wanted something removable and easy.

I changed out the element like the one you show and I went with a tri clover heating element that has plug prongs on the end. I like this so much better for my rig. After brewing I unplug the heating element cord from the boil kettle and I remove the clamp and take out the heating element. I scrub the heating element in the sink and then I use a piece of weed wacker string shaped like a U and I run that back and forth over the heating element under the faucet, and it gets the heating element very clean.

The large 2 inch opening in the kettle (now that the heating element is removed) is also a bonus when I rinse out the boil kettle. Everything runs out that hole when you tip it on it's side, and it makes cleaning the kettle very easy. Just something to think about as this is what works for me.

Good Luck,

John

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I have made a couple changes to the setup- basically a hybrid of the suggestions posted here.
jcav

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, hope it works out for you!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! Good luck with your setup and happy brewing!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same tri-clamp setup. I just blast the opening with garden hose nozzle. It seems to work petty good. I also have a small faucet brush that I use in there. I prefer the tri-clamp setup so I can remove the element and use my BK outside on gas burner when we do a group brew.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: