Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewery Layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szuromski

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Brewery Layout Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all - I'm designing the layout of the brewery in my basement and curious if anyone has any feedback. For example, do you agree with the placement (and order) of my kettles, location of the panel, etc? The sink is already in place, but everything else can be moved if needed. Hoping to learn from others who have design recommendations on things they would have done differently. Thanks!

Brewery Zoom Out.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.41 KB
 Viewed:  3896 Time(s)

Brewery Zoom Out.png

Brewery Zoom In.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.95 KB
 Viewed:  3896 Time(s)

Brewery Zoom In.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Or should I say, nothing stands out as raising alarms with your kettle/sink/panel layout.

You'll be able to tilt the BOIL kettle into the sink to clean it, and you can disconnect the one temp probe wire from the MLT to move it to the other table to do the same. That's what I do. HLT never moves or needs cleaning as it only contains water.

Happy building and brewing! Please post some pics as you work through this. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask. We support our products and customers for life.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
szuromski

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! Cleaning has been a focus - I'm trying to think of how I can design the brewery to limit moving the kettles as much as possible - ideally not at all, I'd like to be able to clean/rinse in place. I have a spray arm on the sink with a flexible hose that can reach about 10'. I actually have what appears to be a bathroom drain hookups in my basement (there when I bought the house). There is a toilet drain/flange and and another 1.5 or 2" PVC pipe in the floor for what I assume is for a shower drain. It happens to be right in front of my sink. Perhaps I could make this into a small floor drain and run hoses from my kettles to the floor drain when cleaning? I'll def take pics on the build and share. Appreciate the support!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
pedactyl

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a floor drain is a great idea. I have one, and I use it more than I thought I would. Mine is just a standard small floor drain (similar to what kal has in his brewery.) I almost wish I'd put in a longer rectangular floor drain with several removal grates. Big picture, just as kal said, think about how you are going to be cleaning each item. I would especially think about how you will be cleaning whatever fermentor(s) you will be using. If they can't be lifted into the sink, you'll probably want a floor drain. The floor slope might also need to be adjusted some, which isn't super easy.

I like the three sink layout. Make sure at least one of the basins is pretty deep. When you dump out 5 gallons of liquid, it splashes a lot!

You have a lot of space, so I'd think about a conditioning fridge as well as a keezer (which might be what the beer fridge is.) I'd also think about getting a used older model dishwasher (less fancy electronics the better.) Kitchenaid's are pretty reliable, in my opinion. Great for glasses, pitchers, etc. I LOVE my extra dishwasher. Great for parties when there are overflow dishes, cleaning grill tools, and kitchen pots. I also use mine to clean some of my brew equipment (using only a bit of PBW, not dishwasher detergent.) I think opinions will vary wildly on whether that last idea is good or not.

I might think about having your brew panel on a TV mount as a few other folks have done on this thread. Not impossible to reach over that bench to adjust the controls, but it's always nice to have things 'at your fingertips' as kal would say.

Make sure you have drawers or shelves very near your brew equipment and sink. Get as much of the item storage off your tables as possible. The more workbench space you have, the better. I'd also think about good lighting for your workspaces and the brew kettles. One thing I had to do with my brew bench (made of wood) was to lower it so I could easily see into the kettles. I'm 5'7", so if you are tall, you might not need to worry about it.

A stereo is a nice addition; I don't use the TV much while I brew. I have a computer too, but I just end up printing off my brew day sheet before I start and work from a clipboard.

I ran co2 gas tubing to my sink when I had my walls open. It's terminated with a ball-lock gas connector. I use that a lot when I'm cleaning / filling kegs and cleaning party taps.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: