Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Quick Disconnect O-Rings

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomattwohawks

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Quick Disconnect O-Rings Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone know the exact size or where to get O-rings for the inside of the female SS quick disconnects? Some of mine have come out and ended up getting pushed through the tubing and are gone now.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

It would depend who's QDs you're using as they may be different sizes. There's no standar to this. So the o-ring size in a QD from manufacturer A may be different from a QD from manufacturer B.

I say this as I looked up your forum email to see if you had purchased your QDs from us and I don't see you did (unless you ordered under a different email or with only a phone number).

That said, we do not sell replacement o-rings for ours (they come integrated with them) and I actually do not know what size ours are - it's not something we've been asked before.

Where did you purchase your QDs? Did you purchase the male QDs at the same place? There can be mating/fit problems if you purchase the female QD from manufacturer A and the male from manufacturer B. They should always be purchased together to ensure proper fit. Improper fit can lead to leaks (fit too loose) or damaged o-rings / o-rings that get dislodged (fit too tight).

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Tomattwohawks

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal I got them at Ontario Beer Kegs.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You'll have to ask them for more information on the o-ring size. Not sure if they sell replacement o-rings.

I did purchase some extra female QDs many years ago from them (before we started selling them ourselves) for a project I was working on. Already had some extra male QDs I had bought from MoreBeer. Given the different manufacturers the mating was extremely tight and I was concerned the o-rings would get dislodged or damaged. It was so tight that they were an absolute pain so I never ended up using them. (Though this doesn't really help your issue if you're using both male and female QDs from the same manufacturer)

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took a peek at my OBK female QDs (bought in 2013) that I don't use and compared them to the ones I do use (bought in 2009). Both have o-rings recessed into a stainless grove but the OBK ones have a much shallower groove such that the o-ring sticks out a lot more and is a lot more visible. (Now that was 2013, not sure if they'd be the same with yours). I'd say only about 50% of the o-ring thickness is in the grove on the OBK ones while with the ones I use about 75% of the thickness o-ring of o-ring is in the groove. The extra exposure wouldn't "hold" the o-ring as tightly so it would be easier for it to be dislodged.

I don't know how tightly their similarly branded QDs mate, but the tighter it is, more pressure would be applied and may dislodge the o-ring. Make sure to use matching male/female QDs (from the same manufacturer) to minimize this. In theory they should male well if from the same manufacturer. I just tried one of my OBK female QDs on my other male QDs and man, I really have to push hard to make them mate. Not good. Not really usable. Reminds me why I never ended up using them. With my existing QDs there's no pressure needed at all: I just pull back the outer spring loaded sheath to unlock the ball bearings, slide it on, and then let go of the shealth and it's locked. There's little to no friction between the stainless on the male QD and the o-ring on the female QD.

If you do decide to buy replacement QDs from OBK you can use these links and help support us at no additional cost to you - it's appreciated!

STAINLESS STEEL FEMALE QUICK DISCONNECT 1/2" BARB: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-female-quick-disconnect-1-2-barb
STAINLESS STEEL FEMALE QUICK DISCONNECT 1/2" NPT MALE: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-female-quick-disconnect-1-2-npt-male

STAINLESS STEEL MALE QUICK DISCONNECT 1/2" BARB: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-male-quick-disconnect-1-2-barb
STAINLESS STEEL MALE QUICK DISCONNECT 1/2" NPT MALE: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-male-quick-disconnect-1-2-npt-male

Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: