Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Yeast Starter Error

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixgun2764

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Yeast Starter Error Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello All, I need some thoughts on my problem. Two days ago I started two 3 L starters for an amber ale. I have an old incubator that I got through work. I brew in my basement and the temps can dip into the high 50's in the winter, so I use the incubator to incubate the starters at around 75 F. When I went to place the starters in the incubator, I realized the GFI on the circuit for the incubator had tripped, I reset it and went on my way. Didn't occur to me to check the set point. When the powered cycled, the set point reset to 100 F. So I have to starters that have been incubating at 100F for two days, should I use them? Thanks
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it actually make any yeast? Or just kill the small amount you started with? Should be easy to tell (especially if you settle it out in the fridge) - you either have a lot more yeast or not. When making a starter you're simply making yeast, not beer, so you don't care what off flavours or esters the yeast throws at higher temps.

What yeast? Some thrives at very high temps (like some saison strains), others not so much, but even 100F isn't going to kill off most beer yeast.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Sixgun2764

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal,

It was White Lab's WLP029 German/Kolsch strain. I have the flasks in the refrigerator settling. There was plenty of yeast propagation upon visual inspection. I think I'm probably fine to proceed with the yeast as long as I decant the flasks very efficiently. Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet it'll be fine. Report back and let us know. Good luck with the brew day!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Yeast & Fermentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: