Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Heating Elements with Tri-Clover (Tri-Clamp)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBussy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Heating Elements with Tri-Clover (Tri-Clamp) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
This is all in the context of using Kal's design to connect the heating element to a cord. In the Electric Brewery heating element assembly (DIY Kit) page that there is a statement:
Quote:
The heating element assembly may also be used in kettles that already have NPS or Tri-Clover (Tri-Clamp) fittings attached

I did not see any elaboration, however, other than "Use a 1" NPS female to Tri-Clover adapter." The link takes me to Amazon where I might be able to find such a thing with perseverance
    Does this screw onto the element on the other side of the box as a replacement for the 1" nut?
    Anyone have a picture of such a setup so make it simple for me since I'm so dense?
    Can anyone recommend a 1" NPS to a 2" TC?
    Finally: If I'm going about this the wrong way, let me know
I know there are all in one solutions I can buy for ~$60 but I like the idea of having something that's not built with proprietary parts.

Also, I don't know if I have ever posted here before so this may also be my "Hi everyone, new here! post. Wink

ETA: I guess I have 12 posts here. Who knew?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Creamsicle, London Pride, Kolsch, Belgian IPA, Red IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Weizen, Belgian Quad, Wit, English Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating Elements with Tri-Clover (Tri-Clamp) Reply with quote

Scroll down to the section:

MY KETTLE HAS A TRI-CLOVER (SOMETIMES CALLED TRI-CLAMP) FITTING FOR AN ELEMENT. HOW DO I ATTACH THE HEATING ELEMENT ASSEMBLY?

It explains how to use the adapter. Here's a quote:

"Use a 1" NPS female to Tri-Clover adapter (usually supplied by your kettle manufacturer, see picture below). Simply screw the adapter on to the element threads. Make sure to use PTFE white teflon tape on the element threads to ensure a tight, leak-free fit (see this video) and seal on the inside of the box between the heating element and box cover with the food grade silicone adhesive/sealant (also included). See our secure the heating element assembly instructions for a picture. To fasten the element to the kettle use a tri-clover clamp as you would normally. The washer, nut, and o-ring supplied with your DIY kit are not used."

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LBussy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Kal.

I guess I didn't read that well. So to practice reflective listening (reading) the only thing sealing the element into the box is silicone adhesive?

Maybe that's just belt and suspenders since the seal is actually the threads/teflon tape, huh?

Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Creamsicle, London Pride, Kolsch, Belgian IPA, Red IPA, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Weizen, Belgian Quad, Wit, English Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle

PostLink    Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LBussy wrote:
So to practice reflective listening (reading) the only thing sealing the element into the box is silicone adhesive?

No. The silicone adhesive is only used as a precaution.

Quote:
Maybe that's just belt and suspenders since the seal is actually the threads/teflon tape, huh?

Correct.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
LBussy

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: