Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

7A fuse blew

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hickster88

Drinking: 5 on tap at the moment

Working on: Mango milkshake IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Heating elements Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So, I've probably done over 300 batches with my original elements. Last brewing session I noticed my wort was starting a violent boil and the temp. was only around 195 degrees f. I immediately turned off the BK but then could smell something burned. I turned the element back on and saw it was blown and not pulling any amps. I then decided not to waste a 15 gallon batch and transfer wort to my HLT. As soon as i was ready to transfer, the 7 amp low voltage fuse blew. And that is my question? Why would that fuse blow?

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating elements Reply with quote

hickster88 wrote:
So, I've probably done over 300 batches with my original elements. Last brewing session I noticed my wort was starting a violent boil and the temp. was only around 195 degrees f.

That is odd. The temp must have been wrong as otherwise you wouldn't have a violent boil

Quote:
I immediately turned off the BK but then could smell something burned. I turned the element back on and saw it was blown and not pulling any amps.

When you say that you "saw that it was blown" what do you mean exactly? What did you see?

Quote:
I then decided not to waste a 15 gallon batch and transfer wort to my HLT.

To boil it in the HLT I assume?

Quote:
As soon as i was ready to transfer, the 7 amp low voltage fuse blew. And that is my question? Why would that fuse blow?

I'm assuming you have a standard 30A North American control panel or build one to our spec. The 7 amp fuse is there to protect the 120V hot line in the panel and the 120V devices in the panel and the two pumps. If the 7A fuse blows it's because one of those devices (or a combination of more than one) started to draw more than 7A. This usually happens if something shorts out either through a part failure (rare as normally when something fails it fails open and not closed) or if someone uses pumps that are outside of the recommended spec.

I've split your post and my reply out to a new topic as these are not questions related to our "HOW TO: Replacing heating elements" FAQ where you posted.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: