Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Low cost mod for chilling wort in warmer climates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subliminalfringe

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Low cost mod for chilling wort in warmer climates. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello all,

I live in California and last week was pretty hot. I can't get the wort below 80F with the CFC during heat waves. I came up with the idea of using the coil in the hot liquor tank as a secondary chiller. So I switched the thermometer assembly from the CFC wort out to the top ball valve of the HERMS coil and moved the ball valve nipple to the CFC.

I then added all the ice in my freezer (about 7 pounds) to the liquor kettle and filled with water to the top of the coil. For me that is 12 gallons. I then routed the wort from boil kettle -> wort pump -> CFC -> bottom of HERMS coil -> carboy. I was able to pasteurize the circuit by running hot wort during the last 10 minutes of the boil prior to adding the water and ice.

So I let the CFC do the bulk of the work. Then the secondary chiller got me the last 10 degrees with ease. There was enough thermal inertia to cool the full 12 gallons. Also chilling time was 3 times faster, resulting in far less wastewater from the CFC.

This does result in the loss of additional wort in the HERMS coil, but I still make more beer than I can squeeze into two 5 gallon kegs. Also you will need a 6th hose if you recirculate the water in the liquor kettle. I already had one that I use for cleaning the system, so it worked out.

Anyway, hope this is helpful for those of you in warmer climes.

-Roger

IMG_3114.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.58 KB
 Viewed:  5434 Time(s)

IMG_3114.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works! Thanks for posting.

While it's not quite as hot here in the summer as California, often in the summer I will simply chill with the CFC quickly to about 80F to lock in the late hop addition flavours and then the wort goes into the fermentation fridges for 4-6 hours to chill to pitch temp. Works well for me, no extra equipment or process required.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: