Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

First step mash -- any input?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: First step mash -- any input? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
After 19 brews with my electric brewery, I will do my first step mash. Will step mash at 144F for 60 minutes, raise temp to 158F for 15 minutes and will mashout at 168F.

Any input, suggestions, etc?

Thanks.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple: After the 60 min mash at 144F, simply press and hold the "UP" button on the HLT until you reach 158F. That's it.

You're already doing a step if you're mashing out at 168F, so an extra step (or 2 or 3) is no different.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I realize I should have asked for anything out of the ordinary.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. It's just soaking at different temperatures. No different really than any other temperature.

Now what temperatures to use, what steps to use, and so forth is of course a completely different question as there are a ton of temp ranges that all do different things and different grains may also react differently.

Check out my recipes for some ideas as to what I do for different styles/recipes and why: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/recipes

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the consideration as to whether or not I'm going to step mash is beer dependent and also how much time do I have for a brew day. Maybe it's just me, but I really like using one for a Kolsch or a Hefe. Like everyone has said, it's so simple and doesn't really complicate the brew day, so why not give it a shot to see what you prefer and whether the extra time is worth it.

The ease of step mashing is one of the things I really like about The Electric Brewery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: