Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Beer smith ph adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brianbrian88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Beer smith ph adjustment Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone else noticed beer Smith's calculations for ph adjustment are crazy. For example if I aim for a ph of 5.4 on an 18 gal recipe it calls for 12ml of 88% lactic acid. On a recipe with 10% flaked rice I put in 6ml and hit the ph bang on. But on a recipe like your cream ale I put in 6 ml and it goes way to low. I've learned to cut the number in half or more depending if I'm using rice and roasted malts

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend using calculators for pH adjustment as many are not overly accurate. Best to simply add some and measure with a pH meter. Complete details on my water adjustment guide: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/water-adjustment

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Brianbrian88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the same hanah peppers 5 ph meter u reccomended but I cant keep the probe moist it was completely dry after filling the cap with storage solution after 20 days, even after soaking in solution I got it calibrated then it started jumping all over after I took a couple of readings at mash temp. I filled it with storage solution and electrical taped the cap on to seal it then left it upright. I'm hoping I can save the probe as the meter is only a couple of months old. I also bought cleaning solution to try cleaning before calibration. Do you think my probe is shot I bought a spare just in case.what do you do when your probe dries out?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hanna Phep 5 pH meter model HI 98128 I mention here?: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/measuring-ph

Strange that it would dry out in only 20 days. At room temp I find that mine will stay wet for many months without using it. Was the little sponge used? Was the cap on tight? Was it possibly not upright when it dried out so fast? (It may have dripped out). I always keep mine upright.

I don't know what pH meter cleaning solution is. I don't use any.

I don't know if your probe is shot. The only way to know is to use it and see. If you can't get a stable reading it may not be working correctly.

Kal

Brianbrian88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's the same meter. It was laying down in the case when it dried out. The cap was on tight but doesn't have any sort of seal. But it came dry when I bought it. And there is no sponge in the cap like my other meter.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't be dry when you bought it. You may want to contact your seller or the manufacturer for further assistance.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: