Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

5 years / around 600 gallons

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: 5 years / around 600 gallons Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
That's how long I've used this system with no issues other than two operator error problems which were resolved quickly.
My question - what about deep cleaning?
Every two or three batches, I heat PBW in the boil kettle and recirculate through the HERMS, chiller, and both pumps, but I've never completely disassembled everything for a deep clean. Necessary?
No off flavors. No infections.
Am I borrowing trouble?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're speaking of the hot side of the brewing process I'd say nope! Everything is boiled anyway. Output of the chiller is about the only thing that sees colder wort.

I only do a deep clean about once a year, maybe two.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SD Endorf

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain your deep clean process?
Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the cleaning article here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/using-your-brewery

Kal

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After brewing that Bohemian Pils, I couldn't get my hop stopper clean the way I wanted. I just put it in the dishwasher with no detergent and it came out spotless.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Hop Stopper cleaning after each batch I just use the old thumb on the hose to clean out any bits. There's a video of this on the order pages.
Then it gets a deep clean about once a year as documented in the cleaning article (link above).

Kal

itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a plate chiller for chilling and as part of my brew day clean up process, i use the wort pump and a bucket of hot pbw to circulate through the chiller. this lasts 20 minutes or so, swapping hoses several times to push cleaner in both directions. this happens while i am cleaning the bk so after i take out the hopstopper, i give it a good blast with the utility sink spray arm and then chick it into that bucket of swirling hot pbw. also throw in the pickup tube, compression fittings, etc. after the bk is clean and dried out, i turn off the wort pump and run hot water through the pump/chiller (both ways, multiple times) and spray off the hopstopper/pickup tube/compression fittings. keeps that hopstopper pretty darn clean.

as for deep clean, in five years i've done the bk twice, mlt once, hlt never (aside from initial cleaning when the kettle was brand new). the cleaning wasn't done out of any performance issues or anything like that, strictly aesthetics (looks like the day i bought the kettles!) i've never taken apart all the valves/fittings. and this is for a similar brew volume as the op, 560 gallons across almost exactly 5 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: