Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop bombs for dry hopping?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnpbuckles

Drinking: Juicy J NEIPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Hop bombs for dry hopping? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone have experience with "hop bombs" for dry hopping?

I thought I'd give them a shot with my recent NEIPA. I bought 6 of these bombs and added 1oz of hops to each. They advertise there being enough space for 1oz of pellets to expand, and still have extraction.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-hop-bomb.html?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

After removing the bombs to clean, however, I'm not so sure. The hops expanded to create a tight ball and dumped out of the bomb still intact in a spherical shape. I broke them up, and the hops all seemed to be wet, but I worried about how much of the oils I actually extracted. They worked as advertised though, and there was very little hop debris in the beer.
https://flic.kr/p/2j3ZBwy
https://flic.kr/p/2j3WYE8

The beer still tastes great, and has the hop flavors and aroma. I think it was perhaps a bit less flavor/aroma than I'd have thought, had I just dry hopped "raw" into the beer. Maybe I'm not using them exactly right? Are they just not a great idea to begin with haha?

Cheers!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hop bombs for dry hopping? Reply with quote

johnpbuckles wrote:
After removing the bombs to clean, however, I'm not so sure. The hops expanded to create a tight ball and dumped out of the bomb still intact in a spherical shape. I broke them up, and the hops all seemed to be wet, but I worried about how much of the oils I actually extracted.

Exactly my experience when using something similar for many years: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/stainless-steel-dry-hopper-for-kegs

Upon extraction the hops are a hard puck at the bottom. All wet, but really only the outside of the puck is getting good contact with beer.

I found I wasn't getting as good extraction so I had to use a lot more hops, almost to the point of things tasting vegetal sometimes (I really like to push hop limits especially late hops and dry hops).

Eventually after many years of experimentation this was created so that I could let my "hops roam free" for best extraction and still ensure that the hops do not end up in the glass: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/products/hop-stopper-2-0-keg-edition-1-pack

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
johnpbuckles

Drinking: Juicy J NEIPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually using these to dry hop in my fermenter, not the keg. I've never tried putting hops in a keg, but your products look neat!

I was looking at the Hop Stopper the other day and wondering about my Torpedo keg. The dip tube is entirely straight/vertical - there is no traditional bend to the center. The bottom of the keg is slightly convex, so the dip tube still sucks up the last drop from around the edges.

Would the Hop Stopper work with a Torpedo keg?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same idea: The advantage of the Hop Stopper Keg Edition is that you can dry hop freely in the fermenter too, or secondary/brite. Just toss the hops in for best extraction. That's what I do. I actually don't dry hop in the keg (very rarely).

When you rack to keg with a Hop Stopper Keg Edition installed and you won't get any hop bits in your glass.

Even if you only dry hop in the fermenter or brite tank, some hop bits will invariably make their way into the keg and end up in the glass. The Hop Stopper 2.0 Keg Edition fixes that. I use one in the keg for all beers that have hops or additions added post-boil.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would the Hop Stopper work with a Torpedo keg?

Most likely. From the order page:

Quote:
DO I NEED TO TRIM OR CUT MY DIP TUBE?

For curved dip tubes that pick up from the center, no modifications are required. If you have a straight dip tube that picks up from the side, you need to file an angle or some kind of notch so that the end of the tube doesn’t sit flush against the bottom of the screen.

If you want, email HopStopper@TheElectricBrewery.com and the manufacturer can comment (they're the true experts on these things).

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: