Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Belgian Dubbel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
TTodd wrote:
Hi Kal,

Brewed this Belgian Dubbel and it's now done fermenting. Took a sip when I pulled a sample for gravity measurement and it sure does taste good. Thanks for this recipe!

Since I have a 10-gallon batch was looking to keg half and bottle the other half. I see that in the Recipe section you mention using gelatin to help clear it out. I've done this before and I like the results but I've always kegged everything. My understanding is that if I were to pitch the gelatin and let it do it's thing for 2-3 days that this would not really be ideal for bottling as it would strip the yeast and there would not be enough there for bottling. Do you happen to know if that is the case?

I should mention that I ferment in a large conical fermenter. I was thinking that maybe what I should do is pull out what I want to bottle now, add priming sugar and bottle. Then to the remaining beer in fermenter, do the clearing with the gelatin and keg that in a few days.

Looking forward to your recommendation.

Thanks,
Tom

No doubt Kal will add his bit, but I often bottle as well as keg and have never had any problems with sufficient yeast residue in the bottles for conditioning after bulk fining with gelatine. Believe me, the gelatine will not remove all the yeast. There will be enough left to act on any priming sugar. Leave the bottles two weeks at ambient room temperature, the chill the bottles for a week.

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTodd wrote:
Brewed this Belgian Dubbel and it's now done fermenting. Took a sip when I pulled a sample for gravity measurement and it sure does taste good. Thanks for this recipe!

You're welcome!

Quote:
Since I have a 10-gallon batch was looking to keg half and bottle the other half. I see that in the Recipe section you mention using gelatin to help clear it out. I've done this before and I like the results but I've always kegged everything. My understanding is that if I were to pitch the gelatin and let it do it's thing for 2-3 days that this would not really be ideal for bottling as it would strip the yeast and there would not be enough there for bottling. Do you happen to know if that is the case?

I should mention that I ferment in a large conical fermenter. I was thinking that maybe what I should do is pull out what I want to bottle now, add priming sugar and bottle. Then to the remaining beer in fermenter, do the clearing with the gelatin and keg that in a few days.

Some stripping occurs but as chastuck mentions there's enough yeast left behind for bottle carb'ing. So you can just follow the instructions directly in the recipe if you like, no matter how you package. You can certainly do as you suggest too (pull some before fining) and it'll be fine with a bit more sediment. Completely up to you. Enjoy!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will still have enough yeast to cause another bottle fermentation and create CO2. I've done the same myself.

Only reason to wait 2 to 3 days is to let things settle as it's expected moving the 5 gallon container and stirring in the gelatin will need time to setting. I stir in the gelatin, return the brew bucket to a cold location, my beverage center, and use the next day (racking off the clear beer and leaving the sludge/gelatin behind).
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I jumped the gun on the candi syrup and went ahead and put in in the boil kettle prior to sparge. Is it really going to make a difference if you add it at first wort or for 10 minutes in the boil? I suppose I can try and dump most of it into another container.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
OK... I jumped the gun on the candi syrup and went ahead and put in in the boil kettle prior to sparge. Is it really going to make a difference if you add it at first wort or for 10 minutes in the boil? I suppose I can try and dump most of it into another container.

No, it shouldn't. Normally sugars (either crystalized or syrup form like here) are added slowly while boiling so that they have a chance to mix in correctly and not clump and burn on the heating element (electric system) or bottom of the pot (gas or similar system heated from below). I posted a video of me dumping this in the recipe and I probably do it way too slowly but it's hard to film and work at the same time. Wink Direct link to the video: https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Q5Ug2nm_I/

The main reason for waiting until near the end of the boil is to maximize hop oil extraction as the lower the gravity the better the extraction. Now for this fairly low IBU beer I doubt you'd really notice a difference. It's more of a concern with DIPAs and similar.

I would simply ensure that the syrup is well mixed before you start boiling. The end result should be identical.

Enjoy the beer!

Kal

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome... thanks!
TTodd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put this on tap now - it's AMAZING... Thanks again Kal!

I wound up deviating from my original plan to fill 1 keg and bottle the rest. Just put the gelatin in the fermenter and filled 2 kegs. I'm flat out of space in my fridges so the 2nd keg is just going to sit at cellar temperature.

I'm very happy with this. I'll be taking a growler to a super bowl party tomorrow! Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Enjoy the beer (and the game!)

Kal

Jerz

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on day 8 for the fermentation and it's still going strong... https://www.2dogsbrewing.com/whats-brewing/belgian-dubbel

I think this is the longest fermentation that I've had.

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made this beer and it has already surpassed my expectations after only been kegged for a week. In a few months, if the dark fruits come through, it's going to be amazing. Dubbels are one of my favorite beer styles and I'm very finicky when it comes to Belgian beers. If you can come up with a Belgian Strong Dark on par with this, I may never buy beer from a store again. You've already out done most other beer styles.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it Fal!

Fal wrote:
If you can come up with a Belgian Strong Dark on par with this, I may never buy beer from a store again. You've already out done most other beer styles.

Thanks! Belgian Dark Strong Ale (Quad) is definitely on the list of things to brew. I've actually be working on a recipe for a couple of weeks now and expect to brew it in the next month or so.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: