Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Creamsicle (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Electric Creamsicle (New England Pale Ale) Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

Tangerine / sweet fruit flavours mixed with creamy hints of coconut and vanilla. Like an orange Creamsicle in a glass!

Recipe is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-creamsicle-new-england-pale-ale

Questions? Ask below. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read thru the recipe and I have a few items.

I see "Once boil is completed, quickly chill the wort to 180F (a copper immersion chiller works well - even the cheapest 25' x 3/8" immersion chiller will only take 2-3 minutes to chill from 212F to 180F). On our control panel, switch the BOIL PID to AUTO mode and set the temperature to 180F. This will hold the wort at 180F. Do not worry if you undershot the 180F target temperature slightly when chilling with the immersion chiller. Our control panel will quickly raise the temperature back to 180F and hold."

"On our control panel, switch the BOIL PID to AUTO mode and set the temperature to 180F. This will hold the wort at 180F." Implied the boil element is also on.

Even though not written I believe the BOIL PID and boil element are only turned back on when the temp is 180F and the immersion chiller is removed. Is this correct? Otherwise, if the BOIL element is on and the immersion chiller is in the boil kettle I don't like thinking of the results if both the boil element and the immersion chiller come into contact with each other.

Thoughts?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Otherwise, if the BOIL element is on and the immersion chiller is in the boil kettle I don't like thinking of the results if both the boil element and the immersion chiller come into contact with each other.

Contact will not do anything. Just don't smash the element / break it.

I usually have the element off while chilling but it makes no difference if you set the PID to 180F and hold there while you chill or you turn the element off completely, change the settings to hold at 180F, and then turn it back on after chilling. Same result.

Cheers!

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more thinking of making unwanted electrical connection/path. I don't know enough about the heating element. Does the element only make heat or heat with some electricity present on the surface of the element?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
I was more thinking of making unwanted electrical connection/path. I don't know enough about the heating element. Does the element only make heat or heat with some electricity present on the surface of the element?

The heating element is properly grounded for safety (or it should be - if you follow my build instructions).

No different than an electric hot water tank in a home. When you put your hand under hot water (or get in the bathtub) you're directly 'connected' to that heating element through the water in the same way.

A heating element only makes heat when you power it. There's no electricity on the surface of the element. That would be very dangerous.

Kal

KB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, OK, thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure and didn't want to risk making a, fatal, circuit.

Yes, your build plans from 2014 were followed.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy (and safe) brewing KB! If you brew this one let us know how you like it!

Kal

AM

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys i ll give this one a shot seems v interesting.

As a i only got some safale yeasts in hand, do you think either S33, S04 or S05 would do this beer any justice? Which one would you suggest?

Thank you in advance!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM wrote:

As a i only got some safale yeasts in hand, do you think either S33, S04 or S05 would do this beer any justice? Which one would you suggest?

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend any of those if you want to recreate the smooth / pillowy beer with the same flavours an bio-transformation. The yeast from the recipe is somewhat special. You can of course make a beer with any yeast you like but it won't be the same. You could make it with US-05 and you'd have a non-New England style pale ale. Would still be tasty, but not quite the same.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

AM

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
AM wrote:

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend any of those if you want to recreate the smooth / pillowy beer with the same flavours an bio-transformation. The yeast from the recipe is somewhat special. You can of course make a beer with any yeast you like but it won't be the same. You could make it with US-05 and you'd have a non-New England style pale ale. Would still be tasty, but not quite the same.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Kal

Thank you Kal for the feedback, sounds reasonable.

I must sAy i am impressed with your recipes and love for beer!

Will revert once i give this one a shot.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments and happy brewing!

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, love this new recipe addition and I am thinking of giving this one a whirl and brewing it next month. Just a quick question when you brew it do you use the lactose? I love milk stouts and other beers that have a lactose addition. I think this will add to the creaminess. Do you like the beer better with the lactose addition or without?

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use lactose myself, but that's a personal preference. It's an option if you want to use it. See the recipe for complete details, specifically the section "WHAT ABOUT LACTOSE?". I purposely leave it as a personal choice as, well, everyone has different opions on the use of lactose on a beer like this. I suggest trying both ways to decide what you like.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for getting back to me. I will try it without first. Excited to try out this new hop variety. It looks like a great beer!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the recipe if you want to just try it with a single beer before committing a batch. I give directions to try it out like this. Enjoy the beer!

Kal

Shmeffrey

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is amazing Kal! I did a small 2.5 gal BIAB batch in my kitchen and it turned out great! I'll probably stock up on ingredients immediately for a 12 gallon batch. Sabro might be my new favorite hop.

Do you do anything after kegging and lagering? Do you always secondary ferment? I've been doing a 'secondary' in a keg so that I can drop the temperature without sucking in oxygen. I have had a few beers clog my kegs, I know you have the hop stopper keg edition, I do plan on getting them. Do they work for stopping yeast too?

I have lagered a few beers then closed transfer to a new keg in order to leave the yeast behind and it works as long as the first keg doesn't clog.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it!

Shmeffrey wrote:
Do you do anything after kegging and lagering?

In what sense? I don't (technically) lager this beer. After kegging it goes into the serving keezer on high pressure for 24 hours and then it's turned down the serving pressure and the beer starts flowing! See the recipe "notes / process" section for exactly what I do - it includes details right up to kegging/serving. All my recipes include instructions from grain to glass.

Quote:
Do you always secondary ferment?

I never secondary ferment any of my beer. I ferment until completion in the primary (single) fermentation vessel. This is what most brewers do. Best to let the yeast finish off and clean up after itself. Don't rack before fermentation is done. Thats like taking candy (sugar) away from a baby (yeast). You'll only make it mad. Wink

Quote:
I have had a few beers clog my kegs, I know you have the hop stopper keg edition, I do plan on getting them. Do they work for stopping yeast too?

I do sometimes get a layer of yeast/mud in the kegs as some of my beers go directly from the fermentation to keg and the Hop Stopper Keg Edition has no issues with that yeast that has settled out. When I remove them after the keg is emptied the filter is often buried (or partially buried) in the yeast 'mud' and I had no issue with serving. Now that said Hop Stoppers are not recommended for any vessel you're *actively* fermenting in. Don't use them in a fermenter. They're not meant to be used as a yeast filtration device.

Kal

jcav

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, in the middle of the mash right now on this beauty! Excited to try this one out. I got a feeling it's gonna be another dandy!

John

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your brew day John. Hope you like it!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the recipe to make it clearer how to adjust other grain amounts (CaraPils/Carafoam) if using Lactose.
See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-creamsicle-new-england-pale-ale

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: