Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Auto Tuning Boil Kettle PID Observations

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjo2125

Drinking: Oatmeal Stout

Working on: Irish Red Ale, European Lager, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Auto Tuning Boil Kettle PID Observations Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have a back-to-back system in which I heat strike water in the Boil Kettle while the Hot Liquor Tank is being heated to mash temp. I tried auto tuning my Boil Kettle PID to keep the strike water at a set temp without overshooting. The auto-tune worked well from that standpoint.

But auto-tuning the Boil Kettle PID resulted in unexpected heating element behavior during the boil. Normally, I manually control my element during boiling (65% power duty). Prior to auto-tuning, the Boil Kettle PID would control the element firing to maintain a continuous, smooth boil at 65% duty. However, once auto-tuned, the PID actually turned off the heating element during the boil to maintain 65% duty which resulted in a boil that was unsettling and discontinuous. I returned the Boil Kettle PID settings to factory default. Id rather have a smooth continuous boil than worry about overshooting strike water temp by a degree or two. Has anyone experienced the same behavior?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Creamsicle, London Pride, Kolsch, German Pils, Belgian Dubbel, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Weizen, Belgian Quad, Belgian IPA

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto-tuning sets the P / I / D values of the PID. Normally these values are only used when in automatic (temperature based) control. That said, I just tried a test by setting values to some crazy large numbers and it did cause some odd behavior.

99% of the time the P / I / D values I recommend here will work for you: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-setup
(No auto-tune required). I would just use those.

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Kal, the values you posted have worked for me in the past - I'll stick with your recommendations. Just goes to show issues with unintended consequences...
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal, I think you posted another response, that I received in my email but don't see it here. Anyway, something else also happened that was strange - the boil kettle had 8 gallons of wort in it, when I turned the element on, the element started vibrating such that I could see ripples on the surface of the wort and feel the kettle vibrating (never experienced that before). Once the boil came up, it stopped and I attempted to go into manual mode , but the controller would not let me use manual mode. I then went into the settings and found that the PID A-M setting was set to "2" manual suppression - Apparently, auto-tune also changes the A-M from "0" to "2" as part of the auto-tune function. Also, auto tune changed my "t" setting from 2 to 20. I changed the A-M setting to "0" and was then allowed to set my duty at 65%. I didn't change the "t" setting though. As expected, the auto tune changed my PID settings to large numbers. I have since went back to your recommended settings and everything seems normal, but won't know until my next brew day.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: German Lager, Electric Creamsicle, London Pride, Kolsch, German Pils, Belgian Dubbel, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

Working on: Weizen, Belgian Quad, Belgian IPA

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjo2125 wrote:
Kal, I think you posted another response, that I received in my email but don't see it here.

Correct. I had posted, but then decided to try my suggestions of using some crazy values and noticed that the PID behaved 'oddly' so I changed my answer.

Kal

View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: