Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Brewing with Chile Peppers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discdoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Brewing with Chile Peppers Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Does anyone have experience brewing with ChilePeppers.i brewed an imperial stout and wanted to compliment the chocolate notes with the flavor of chiles and just a little heat. I used Ancho, Pasilla and Garanja. They were dried before I got them. I seeded and stemmed them and placed in the secondary for about 4 weeks. I got heat on the finish but none of the chile flavors. I'm looking mor for the flavors with only a hint of heat. Any recommendations
Thanks
foomench

Drinking: Pinot barrel aged quad

Working on: Flanders oude bruin in barrel, Flanders red fermenting to refill the barrel

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a smoked porter with chipotle peppers several times. I sliced the peppers open (2 in a ~5 gallon batch? I'd have to check my notes to be sure), then steeped them in just boiling water like making a tea. I let the liquid cool and then poured the cool tea into my fermenter. I think the warm water might help extract more of the flavor.

When I make chili, I steep dried peppers in hot water for at least 15 minutes, usually half an hour to an hour. I then remove the stems, ribs, and seeds and run what is left in a blender with the steeping water. Then I run that mixture through a very fine strainer and put the strained liquid in my chili. An approach like this might give you even more flavor, as you are really getting the meat of the pepper in a pulverized form.

As you likely know, most of the heat in peppers is in the ribs. From there it gets into the seeds. The fleshy body is the least hot part.

I love Ancho and Pasilla, and also regularly use Guajillo along with New Mexico and California reds. What is Garanja?

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was cleaning kegs and purging them yesterday.. Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" came on..

Idea.. Carolina Reaper Pepper Beer.

But trying to figure out how much to use is the hard part.
tkdjim

Drinking: Scotch Ale

Working on: Moose Druel

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Homemade Fireball Reply with quote

Master.. be careful with the Reaper Brew!
I made some homemade fireball last year using 750ML of whiskey 4 Cinnamon sticks and got the bright Idea to put on of my Carolina Reaper/Butch T Scorpion cross peppers in there... After a month I got me a sip... Holy Mary- David and Jesus that stuff was over the top HOT! I cut it with more whiskey and the next time I tried it - sumbitch seemed hotter! So as you figure I cut it again... end result I ended up with a gallon of flaming hot fireball so I labeled it Extreme Fireball and it has sat there waiting for its next victim... ahh.. my son-in-law.. I said just take a small sip.. nope he did a gulp and about passed out!
Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing it tomorrow. Just a semi generic IPA that I will settle on peppers later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: