Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Panel won't turn on after abusing wort pump receptacle

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Panel won't turn on after abusing wort pump receptacle Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I made a bonehead move. My brewery shares a 15A circuit with two other rooms, one of which houses a couple of computers and a TV. When I use my induction cooktop to make yeast starters, I trip the breaker more often than not. I thought I was being smart and decided to plug the cooktop into my brewery control panel, using the wort pump receptacle. When I powered it on, the control panel turned off. The 30A GFCI breaker is not tripped, I tested the GFCI and flipped the breaker off and back on, but the control panel still won't power back on. I opened it up and everything looks normal, no burned out wires, no weird smells. I'd guess it was a blown fuse, but my electrical knowledge is lacking to say the least (if that wasn't completely obvious Embarassed ), so I'm not sure what to look for. Any ideas? Obviously I won't be using those receptacles for anything other than pumps in the future.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more information.

Is this a panel we built for you?
You build from one our kits?
What panel type is it?
Something else?
Post pictures if it's easier.

It's likely something simple, but we don't know what we're dealing with yet so it's impossible to provide suggestions.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, this is a pre-built standard 30A panel, purchased in March 2018 (not sure whether that matters). I'm in the USA. I'm happy to take pictures if that will help, but to my untrained eye it looks the same as it did when I received it.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That helps a lot.

Our panel pumps are locking so I'm surprised you were able to plug your cooktop into our brewery control panel. Did you change the plug on the cooktop?

Either way, those plugs are protected by a 7 amp fuse (combined across both pump plugs ) to ensure someone doesn't overdraw on total current with 2 pumps plus a heating element as the receptacles are meant for pumps only. Your cooktop is likely 10-12 amps. Odds are you blew the 7A fuse. Facing the panel you'll find the fuse holder on the top right of the panel backplate. Looks like this:

You can just make it out here in the top right:

Replacement fuses are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/fuses-breakers/products/7a-250v-fast-blow-fuse-glass-tube-63x32mm

Cheers!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that was exactly it. Replacement ordered and lesson learned. Thanks for the quick response!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it was something simple!

Kal

erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes, I used an adapter with a locking plug and 5-15 receptacle.
erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a semi-related note, what are people generally doing for starters? That's honestly the biggest pain point in my brewing process, between having to plan ahead and the time-consuming process of making 5L starters (11 gallon batches of lager) without being able to use the heating elements in my kettles, counterflow chiller, etc.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erock2112 wrote:
On a semi-related note, what are people generally doing for starters? That's honestly the biggest pain point in my brewing process, between having to plan ahead and the time-consuming process of making 5L starters (11 gallon batches of lager) without being able to use the heating elements in my kettles, counterflow chiller, etc.

See my guide: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/making-a-yeast-starter

Kal

erock2112

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much my process. I've considered brewing a batch of starter wort and canning it, but I haven't pulled the trigger on a big pressure cooker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: