Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Basement Layout Help for Brewery and Bar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
kal wrote:
KB wrote:
Not trying to nit pick, but really want the brewery on the other side/wall of the bathroom?

I guess I don't see it, but what's wrong with that?

Kal

Considering what happens in the bathroom, really want possible contaminants so close to the brewery?

Reminds me of a sci-fi movie. People in the future were making fun of us now having bathrooms near the kitchen. Guess we are naive or didn't consider the health risks at the time. Somewhere in the future, something happened to make people aware. While I realize this was a sci-fi movie, just a movie, it gave me pause for thought.

I know with brewing there are other concerns, but I'd rather NOT have my brewery near a bathroom or laundry room (Why laundry room? Dryer dust.)

I also know, based on a recent brewing experience where things went terribly wrong, that, apparently brewing is forgiving. I'll post the whole story/explanation in another post.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
Considering what happens in the bathroom, really want possible contaminants so close to the brewery?

There's a solid wall between the two and everything is boiled anyway.

Plus, the grain you put in your mash tun is in no way sanitary. Every time you dump grain in there you're also putting in insect parts, rodent hair, feces/urine, and other foreign stuff because the FDA allows it (to certain levels). It's already full of contaminants, just like the food we've been eating every day for years.

See: https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook

Some examples of what's acceptable in the things we eat:

Allspice, Ground: Up to 30 insect fragments per 10 grams, up to 1 rodent hairs per 10 grams.
Pizza sauce: Up to 30 fly eggs per 100 grams OR up to 15 fly eggs and 1 maggots per 100 grams OR up to 2 maggots per 100 grams, in a minimum of 12 subsamples.
Brussels sprouts: Up to 30 aphids (also known plant lice) and or thrips (tiny winged pests) per 100 grams.
Cinnamon: Up 10 rodent hairs and 400 insect fragments per 50g.
Wheat: Up to 32 insect-damaged kernels per 100 grams, up to 9 mg rodent excreta pellets and/or pellet fragments per kilogram.
Wheat flour: Up to 75 insect fragments per 50 grams, up to 1 rodent hairs per 50 grams.

That last two are interesting. I'm sure malt is probably classified in a similar manner to what the allow in wheat which would mean that up to 0.9% mouse poop in the ingredients we put in beer is completely normal.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
SoundsLikeLife

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
There's a solid wall between the two and everything is boiled anyway.

Not to mention two doorways and a ventilation unit over the kettles. I figured his concern was privacy/noise. I don't expect anyone to be unloading in there while I'm brewing haha.

kal wrote:
Plus, the grain you put in your mash tun is in no way sanitary. Every time you dump grain in there you're also putting in insect parts, rodent hair, feces/urine, and other foreign stuff because the FDA allows it (to certain levels). It's already full of contaminants, just like the food we've been eating every day for years.

Yum! Can't wait to brew again now! lol
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB wrote:
I know with brewing there are other concerns, but I'd rather NOT have my brewery near a bathroom or laundry room (Why laundry room? Dryer dust.)

So, do I brew in the laundry room or are the washer/dryer in my brewery?

W

IMG-1518.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.7 KB
 Viewed:  4812 Time(s)

IMG-1518.JPG

IMG-1517.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.73 KB
 Viewed:  4812 Time(s)

IMG-1517.JPG

KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great for you. I know our gas dryer puts out dust when running. Yes, the vent is clean, the lint tray is clean. I'd never consider brewing in a laundry room. However, (as per the cliche) to each his own.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd to have a dryer expel dust. Normally a dryer sucks in air and passes it out of the house, with lint and dust being caught in the lint trap.

If your dryer is pushing dust into the room you may want to ensure that there isn't blockage somewhere and that's running properly. Blocked dryer exhausts are known to cause house fires. Better dryers will in fact test the pressure required to vent and refuse to run if they sense a blockage of any sort. We had one a few years ago caused by still moist lint accumulating over time at the house exit and freezing over the winter. Our dryer refused to run until it was cleaned out (a good thing!).

Sorry, we're getting off topic. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: