Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Shelf life of grain

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Shelf life of grain Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Yesterday I found some grain that was sealed in plastic inside a bucket with a gamma seal lid. It’s probably 1.5 to 2 years old. Should I dump it? I’ve also got a bucket with gamma lid that’s full of Munich but not packaged.

I found it when I was in the process of removing lids off old buckets and putting them on new buckets. Thanks in advance.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no simple black and white answer.

Depends on the grain. Depends on how it was stored (you stored it well if you used gamma seal lids like these: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/gamma-seal-lid ). Depends on the beer you want to make. The lighter the kilning, generally speaking the shorter the lifespan before it goes stale. Taste it and find out.

For example, something like domestic 2-row at 1.8-2.0L ( https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/domestic-2-row-malt-1-8-2-0l ) goes stale faster than roasted barley at 500L ( https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/roasted-barley-500l )

I like to try and use my low kilned base malts within a year or so but have used older stuf than that with no noticeable change in taste. Depends on the beer too. For example, a subtle staleness may be completely lost on a Double IPA but noticeable on a light lager.

The heavier kilned / crytalized stuff seems to last forever. I have some 500+L stuff that's probably 10 years old. Wink

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! Good advice.
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gods must be kind with me as I've had grains, properly stored, for years and they were OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: