Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Will this heatsink work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calenk

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Will this heatsink work. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether or not this heatsink will work.

Thanks

https://www.amazon.ca/Aluminum-Thermal-Conductivity-Household-Devices/dp/B07QLZJ8DK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelecbrew-20&linkId=9c43e3d1a80394593ffd84b7f7ba7a14&language=en_CA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If building one of our control panels I recommend this heat sink here that we sell: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/heat-sinks/products/custom-black-anodized-heat-sink-10-x-5-375-x-1-375-3-7-lbs

We can also pre-drill/tap heatsink the heat sink for you saving you work.

At 3.7 lbs ours are almost x3 the size which means parts will last longer as they run cooler, ours are also anodized (also helps with cooling as the emissivity of anodized aluminum is 0.85 while unfinished is only 0.05), and ours fit perfectly on our enclosures (or recommended enclosure of the same size).

Read more about choosing a heat sink here in our build instructions: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1?page=5

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Funkalizer

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Will this heatsink work. Reply with quote

Calenk wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether or not this heatsink will work.

It'll probably work.
I've used an old CPU fan for my SSR and while it did it's job there are probably better solutions for it.
So, again, it'll probably work but it might not be as effective as other products
Calenk

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum!

If building one of our control panels I recommend this heat sink here that we sell: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/heat-sinks/products/custom-black-anodized-heat-sink-10-x-5-375-x-1-375-3-7-lbs

We can also pre-drill/tap heatsink the heat sink for you saving you work.

At 3.7 lbs ours are almost x3 the size which means parts will last longer as they run cooler, ours are also anodized (also helps with cooling as the emissivity of anodized aluminum is 0.85 while unfinished is only 0.05), and ours fit perfectly on our enclosures (or recommended enclosure of the same size).

Read more about choosing a heat sink here in our build instructions: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/control-panel-part-1?page=5

Good luck!

Kal

How hot does one of your custom heatsinks get while in use?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calenk wrote:

Hi! That's not a question anyone can answer I'm afraid as it depends entirely on what you have hooked up to it, how hard you drive it (how many watts over time you're dissipating), what the ambient temperature is, and so forth.

There are heat sink calculation tools available that would calculate this for you where you can plug in all the various numbers that you'd be able to supply.

What are you using this heat sink for exactly?

Kal

Calenk

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Calenk wrote:

Hi! That's not a question anyone can answer I'm afraid as it depends entirely on what you have hooked up to it, how hard you drive it (how many watts over time you're dissipating), what the ambient temperature is, and so forth.

There are heat sink calculation tools available that would calculate this for you where you can plug in all the various numbers that you'd be able to supply.

What are you using this heat sink for exactly?

Kal

I'm pretty much following your controller build to a T. Gonna use 5500w elements. I've oversized the SSRs and Contacters to accommodate a 50a upgrade later down the line. Just was wondering if I could use one of the heatsinks I already have.... Large heatsink like the ones you recommend are hard to source in Canada so your dealing with over the border shipping which I was hoping to avoid
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use any reasonable sized heat sink you like but the advantages I mentioned previously still would apply if you used a heat sink that is x3 larger like ours. We do ship worldwide and do offer USPS which is very "Canada friendly" (I'm in Canada myself and understand the pain!). Completely up to you. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: