Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

4500W vs. 5500W Boil Time Comparisons

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
awoitte

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: 4500W vs. 5500W Boil Time Comparisons Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
My current main electrical panel will only allow a 50 amp sub panel to be placed in my brew space. After looking over the power requirements for the 50amp back to back control panel, my electrician has recommended that I go with (2) 4500w heating elements as (2) 5500w is using just about all the power available and may trip the breaker while in use.

From my understanding, my two options are:

1) Go with (2) 4500W elements and have slower heating times for my boil/HLT, while having back to back batch capability immediately.

2) Go with (2) 5500W elements and have faster heating times, but only use 1 element at a time (either HLT for mash re-circ, or for boiling wort) until I'm able to upgrade my main panel, allowing me to bump my sub-panel up to 70 or 100 amps.

I like the idea of being able to do back to back batches, but I don't see myself doing it as much as doing single, larger batches.

My main concern is how much longer it will take to heat up liquid with a 4500w element. Can anyone provide the time difference for 4500w & 5500w elements for getting 10 and 15 gallon liquids (water/wort) up to mashing and boiling temps?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm not sure why your electrician would be concerned with using two 5500W elements (plus pumps) using either of our 50A panels as we have thousands around the world using this design on a 50A GFI breaker. That is the intended use and allows for a few amps of headroom even with both pumps running.

Our 5500W heating elements will raise the temperature of 1 gallon of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit in approximately 1.6 seconds. A 4500W has 18% less power so it will take approximately 18% longer.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JMD887

Drinking: Two Hearted Ale

Working on: American Red IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you have room to run a 60amp GFI breaker set up? To Kal's point- would give more headroom.
awoitte

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMD887 wrote:
Would you have room to run a 60amp GFI breaker set up? To Kal's point- would give more headroom.

I wish that were possible, but my panel is being pushed to the limit as it is by running the 50amp breaker. I also talked with a utilities manager at work who said something similar to my electrician, that you typically don't run at or near the max of the power output.

I'm completely going off of the opinions of others as I know nothing about this type of stuff, I just want to make sure everything will perform as expected without hassle while still being safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Electric Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: