Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Two power sources

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hopsteep

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Two power sources Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum. I've been searching on here to see if this has been asked before but I couldn't see anything. Apologies though if I've missed it.

I'm in the early stages of designing a control panel. The panel will be for a small two vessel system running two 2kw elements (UK mains 230V). I want to use two (maximum load 13A each) power inputs so that my system remains portable and ultimately saves me having to fit a dedicated power supply in my garage.

My first thought was to use a DPDT relay, with one part of the relay powering one element and a pump, and other other part powering my second element. Please excuse the very rough diagram attached.

I'd then like to use a single PID to control both of the elements. Could I use two SSRs (one for each element) and connect the low voltage feed from the PID into each of them?

I'd really appreciate any advice and thank you in advance!

DPDT.png
 Description:
Rough diagram
 Filesize:  135.85 KB
 Viewed:  4631 Time(s)

DPDT.png

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Generally speaking what you propose will work. However, some will say that for safety reasons it's better to not combine circuits inside a single device, that the powering circuit should be sized for the device that is using it.

Make sure the PID you use can drive more than one SSR. Ours here can drive 5 in parallel: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-controllers

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Hopsteep

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s great thanks for confirming that. Some great stuff on here- I’ll keep reading and no doubt be asking for some more advice as I get into the build.

[/quote]
Hopsteep

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Generally speaking what you propose will work. However, some will say that for safety reasons it's better to not combine circuits inside a single device, that the powering circuit should be sized for the device that is using it.

Make sure the PID you use can drive more than one SSR. Ours here can drive 5 in parallel: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-controllers

Cheers!

Kal

Looking at my PID it’s output is rated 12v DC 30mA. I’m not sure what the draw of a 40A SSR would actually be. It will operate from 3 to 32V DC but that doesn’t really help.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to ask the manufacturer of the SSR.

With two SSRs (or any load for that matter) in parallel, the current draw doubles. SSRs are, generally speaking high impedance devices so the current draw is negligible. I would be surprised that any PID wouldn't have the capacity to drive at least 2 SSRs.

If you're not sure, the ones we sell will work fine together with up to 5 SSRs:

PID: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/temperature-controllers/products/syl-2352-pid-temperature-controller

SSR: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/ssrs-relays-contactors/products/40-amp-ssr-12v-dc-input-240v-ac-output

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: