Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

HLT Leaks -- Compression fitting and HERMS input valve

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
welliott18

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: HLT Leaks -- Compression fitting and HERMS input valve Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Tonight I did a test run of my new setup using the 50A B2B panel kit with water only and everything is operational from the control panels perspective, elements work, pumps work, PIDS/alarms/timer work. I have some minor leaks to fix up but those aren't concerning.

My biggest problem at the moment is the HLT. The input valve connection leaks really bad and the top HERMS compression fitting connection appears to leak some also (photos attached).

The input valve leak appears to be coming from the SS 1/2" NPT lock nut -- I believe on the valve side.

What's the best plan of attack to fix these two issues?

If the compression fittings were done improperly the first time what needs to be done to fix -- cut off coil at fitting and get a new one? I am worried that the coil end may be too short for another attempt since it kept popping out when I was trying to install it the first time, which could've lead to overtightening?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! A few questions for you:

1. Is the leaking valve the only place that sort of connection is leaking? In other words all of the other places done the same were tested and do not leak? If yes, something has to be different there, either in the parts that were used or how they were assembled. I would double check everything. Other than the HERMS coil I don't believe you bought any of the stainless fittings/valves from us? Double check that you bought the right parts. Hard to tell from your valve pic but it looks like the stainless washer/shim may be too large? (It looks like I can see the inside of it near the top which seems odd.)

2. For the leaky compression fitting make sure you install all the ferrules in the right spots in the right directions. The compression side of the fittings (the nut farthest from the kettle wall) should be tightened down on the coil until finger tight and then a wrench should be used to turn it another full rotation or so to swage (compress) the ferrules inside onto the coil tubing. This forms the tight seal. Be aware that once swaged, the ferrule cannot be moved or reused.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
welliott18

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Hi! A few questions for you:

1. Is the leaking valve the only place that sort of connection is leaking? In other words all of the other places done the same were tested and do not leak? If yes, something has to be different there, either in the parts that were used or how they were assembled. I would double check everything. Other than the HERMS coil I don't believe you bought any of the stainless fittings/valves from us? Double check that you bought the right parts. Hard to tell from your valve pic but it looks like the stainless washer/shim may be too large? (It looks like I can see the inside of it near the top which seems odd.)

2. For the leaky compression fitting make sure you install all the ferrules in the right spots in the right directions. The compression side of the fittings (the nut farthest from the kettle wall) should be tightened down on the coil until finger tight and then a wrench should be used to turn it another full rotation or so to swage (compress) the ferrules inside onto the coil tubing. This forms the tight seal. Be aware that once swaged, the ferrule cannot be moved or reused.

Kal

Hi Kal

Yes, this is the only ball valve connection leaking like that. I ordered all of the parts either directly from you or affiliate links, mainly MoreBeer and Great Fermentations. When I did the HLT leak test everything was fine, it did leak a very small amount with the valve closed and HLT full during my longer test last night, it only really sprung a bad leak once the valve was opened and liquids were pumped into it.

I need to learn more about compression fittings. I made sure the ferrules were oriented correctly in the fittings before tightening but this line “ Be aware that once swaged, the ferrule cannot be moved or reused.” is confusing to me. Does this mean I can untighten the fitting and retighten? Or will the ferrule just be compressed on the HERMs coil end but can be placed back into the same fitting and attempt to retighten?

Thanks
Will
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welliott18 wrote:
Yes, this is the only ball valve connection leaking like that. I ordered all of the parts either directly from you or affiliate links, mainly MoreBeer and Great Fermentations. When I did the HLT leak test everything was fine, it did leak a very small amount with the valve closed and HLT full during my longer test last night, it only really sprung a bad leak once the valve was opened and liquids were pumped into it.

I would double check the one that's leaking to see what could be different.

Quote:
I need to learn more about compression fittings. I made sure the ferrules were oriented correctly in the fittings before tightening but this line “ Be aware that once swaged, the ferrule cannot be moved or reused.” is confusing to me. Does this mean I can untighten the fitting and retighten? Or will the ferrule just be compressed on the HERMs coil end but can be placed back into the same fitting and attempt to retighten?

Once tightened (swaged) the ferrule ring is compressed and cannot be re-used. If it's leaking it's probably installed incorrectly (not in the right order/placement - there's usually more than one ring) or it's not tight enough. If it's not tight enough then you can probably re-use.

It could also be a defective/incorrect part (less likely).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
KB

Working on: Next brew

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar problems when I build my EB a few years ago. Tighten and then tighten more. If believing it's tight enough, tighten some more. Especially with the compression fitting. Curvature of the kettle inside makes this a difficult task. However, use large length wrenches to get leverage and tighten. IMO, smaller hand wrenches just don't provide enough leverage. An old plumbing trick is to use a piece of pipe on the end of the wrench, thereby giving length to the wrench and, providing leverage.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally going finger tight and then using a wrench to do another full rotation is all you need. This is what we recommend in the instructions.

If you used someone else's product then follow whatever instructions they have for their compression fittings.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: