Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Won any awards with your electric brewery? Post here!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Won any awards with your electric brewery? Post here! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!

2013 National Homebrew Competition winners. Image (c) thedrinknation.com

Have you won any for the beers brewed on your electric brewery that is based on our design? If yes, congratulations!
Post here and let everyone know the details!

Both homebrewers and commercial brewers are welcome to post.

(This thread is long overdue as over the years I've been getting emails from people telling me about the awards they've won)

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big congrats to Shane Steeves of Hammond River Brewing who recently won 4 awards for beers produced on our setup!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huaco wrote:
Saturday evening was the award ceremony for O'Zapft Is! German homebrew competition. It was centered around an Oktoberfest celebration at a local Tavern. The number of entries has doubled from last year! I was in on the judging this year and actually had the honor to judge (in first round) the beer that eventually made BOS! It was a phenomenal Traditional Bock.

I was not prepared this year, but managed to have 5 entries into the competition. 2 of my beers were double entered as different sub-categories. I also double entered a pils. For example, I brewed my Dusseldorf Altbier again this year, but my hop utilization increased because of going from a 5 gallon batch last year to a 12 gallon batch this year. Anyway, my Alt came out a bit hoppy so I entered it into Dus Alt and Norther German Alt sub categories. I'm glad I did because, the N. German Alt took silver this year! I took Gold with that beer last year.

My third and last-minute entry was a Weizen. I had brewed this beer in a last-minute brew to have something to have in a keg on the 4th of July holiday. My second keg was still in the kegerator and was getting close to kicking so I thought I would bottle some entries off it for this competition. Turned out, I must have done something right with this beer, because it brought me home the Gold and a REALLY nice 2 Liter BOOT!

Props to The Electric Brewery... The temp regulation on this design is Key to making great Wort to work with.

Last edited by kal on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

"Professional brewers need to be able to reproduce the same recipe over and over. One of the worst things I can think of as a brewer would be for us to produce a great batch of beer and have people enjoy it, only to not be able to reproduce those results on the next batch! Thats how you lose the faith of your customer base. What I found was that while our (previous) home brew system produced great beer, we had very little control and our batches could vary from batch to batch. In short, we needed to update our brew system to afford more control over each batch. And with that, we started building a pilot system (based on The Electric Brewery design). Our new electric set up is designed to mirror the process and functionality of professional breweries. We have hand built our ½ barrel (15 Gallon) electric pilot system to help us produce a consistent product and achieve our ultimate goal of recipe replication on a 15 barrel (210 Gallon) professional system." - Brian Holter & Kingsley Toby, Co-Founders/Brewers, Pipe Dream Brewery (List of award winning beers)

Their awards are listed here:

http://pipedreambrewery.com/awards.php

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fatbaldingoldgit

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an old one because I haven't entered any competitions since 2013.

This stout is my standard and has been for many years but trying to get consistency eluded me until I built my Kal clone system. Now every brew is the same..unless I modify it..It's almost impossible to get wrong.

IMG_0296.JPG
 Description:
Home Brew Challenge award
 Filesize:  69.68 KB
 Viewed:  37240 Time(s)

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG
 Description:
Pump clip
 Filesize:  91.15 KB

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG
 Description:
The Garage Brewery
 Filesize:  282.93 KB

IMG_0519.JPG

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this competition wasn't officially sanctioned and didn't feature BJCP certified judges, I thought I'd post it anyway:

kal wrote:
My local homebrew club (Members of Barleyment) held an American IPA (AIPA) brewing competition on July 27, 2013.

This is by far my favourite style so I brewed up a batch of Green Flash West Coast IPA (my current favourite AIPA) in anticipation of entering it in the competition. It was kegged exactly a month before the competition to give it time to carbonate and condition a bit (but not too much as hop forward beers are best consumed young).

I had a keg of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA still on tap that I had brewed and kegged 6 months earlier, so I figured would be interesting to enter it as well as it is completely different. The hoppiness had mellowed a bit but I was still enjoying it.

16 entries were received. We did not use Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) score sheets - this was simply a "best in show" type competition where 3 flights of 5 to 6 beers are presented and you're asked to rank them from best to worst. Lowest score wins. The only rule was that tasters be familiar with the BJCP guidelines for American IPA and that the beers be brewed (more or less) to those guidelines as well.

Samples were presented in small 6 oz plastic cups:

Colours varied greatly given that American IPAs can range from 6 to 15 SRM:

Brewers tasting samples:

I've done this sort of ranking a few times now and it's amazingly difficult to judge beers based on preference alone. I'd often find myself enjoying two completely different beers, but at the end of the day they need to be ranked. The organizer (who has gone through BJCP training) gave this comment as a hint: "Choose the beer that you'd want to have a second pint of - it's the beer you like the most (but may not really know why)". Unsalted crackers and water are handy tools for cleansing your pallet between samples.

Votes were cast and as luck would have it, my Green Flash West Coast IPA came in first!:

(Competition organizer on the left, me on the right)

The Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA came in a close third which was interesting to see since my two beers were presented in the same flight which meant they were competing against each other.

While I was out at the competition my kids made their own trophies (probably to make me feel better in case my beers didn't win Wink) which was fun to see after:

Unfortunately their trophies of duct tape and cardboard aren't as resilient as the real thing: Wink

It was an interesting event and lots of fun.

Even though it wasn't an 'official' BJCP competition I still learnt a lot and enjoyed tasting all of the samples.

If you ever get a chance to enter any competitions, go for it! (Especially unofficial ones as the informal nature can make them more fun). It's a real learning experience. To best to way to find these sorts of competitions is to join whatever local homebrew club exists in your area. There are clubs all over the world.

Kal

xtrmnt

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Ones & Zeros Brewing Reply with quote

http://www.facebook.com/onesandzerosbrewingco
http://onesandzerosbrewing.com

As seen on AHA:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/brew-pi-the-future-of-homebrew-fermentation/

31 Awards since November 2013
(we have 3 beers going on to the NHC Final Round in San Diego this year)

Gose
2015 Bluff City Extravaganza - Silver
2014 Fugetaboutit - Gold
2014 Boscos Pro-Am - Gold
2014 GABF Pro-Am Contender
2014 Taste of TN - Gold

Doppelbock
2014 Fugetaboutit - Gold
2014 Music City Brew Off - Silver
2014 NHC 1st Round - Silver
2014 Taste of TN - Bronze

Pumpkin Ale
2014 Fugetaboutit - Gold
2014 Music City Brew Off - Gold
2014 Bluegrass Cup - Silver

Northern English Brown Ale
2014 Fugetaboutit - Silver
2014 Music City Brew Off - Silver
2014 Taste of TN - Bronze

Oktoberfest
2015 NHC 1st Round - Silver
2015 Bluff City Extravaganza - Gold
2014 Music City Brew Off - Gold
2014 Taste of TN - Gold
2013 Music City Brewoff - Silver

Strong Scotch Ale
2015 NHC 1st Round - Gold
2014 Fugetaboutit - Gold
2014 Music City Brew Off - Bronze

Raspberry Lambic

Standard English Bitter
2015 Bluff City Extravaganza - Gold

Belgian Dark Strong with Brett
2015 NHC 1st Round - Bronze
2015 Bluff City Extravaganza - Bronze
2014 Fugetaboutit - Honorable Mention

[/img]
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one I had missed - I've had it posted on our testimonials page for some time now:

"We use the electric brew system that we built based on your design. Our beers won 8 major awards in 2015 including 5 first place and 3 second place finishes!" - Dan & Jesse S., Ten Mile Brewing, Lakewood CA

Their website: http://www.tenmilebrewing.com/

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Instagram's @houndbrewing who won a gold medal for their aptly named “Irish Red #1” at Drunk Monk 2019! They brewed this on our Electric Brewery setup. Want to start making award winning beers too? Follow our step by step guides to building and using your very own brewery and start winning medals! See: https://shop.TheElectricBrewery.com

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Jeff and his team at Muddy York Brewing Co of Toronto! They cleaned up again this year at the 2019 Ontario Brewing Awards, winning 5 of the 30 awards including 4 golds in the New England IPA, Pale Malty European Lager, German Wheat Beer, and Dark European Lager categories. Medal winners were evaluated by a team of Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) judges. Well done! They use one of our control panels on their 3.5bbl setup. Their words: "I finally have the panel hooked up and have done some preliminary heating and transfers. I love it!! Your control panel is nothing less than amazing. Couldn't ask for a better one. Cheers!" - Jeff Manol, founder Muddy York Brewing Co.

Pics here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B2mJAh3nCcJ/

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won third place in the 2019 NHC Boston Regionals.
Won 1 Gold and 2 Silvers in the 14th Annual (2019) New England Regional Homebrew Competition.

Love love love my Electric Brewery!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Perogi! That's impressive!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to hopfogbrewing for their silver!

See: https://www.instagram.com/p/CBenVUPJnJe/

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grats hopfogbrewing!!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! I keep seeing posts like that but keep forgetting to mention it here. My bad!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: