Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Shorter HERMS coil lengths?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nschoeneck

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Shorter HERMS coil lengths? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am looking to do 5-10 gallon batches like Kal, but am looking to save some space, and use 15 ga HLT and mash tons (still 20 ga boil kettle). One aspect I'm considering is how well a 50' HERMS coil fits in a smaller HLT. I found an interesting article that notes that while energy transfer is improved by a longer coil, there is an inflection point at around 25' where the additional resistance of the tubing reduces overall energy transfer from the HLT to the mash tun.

https://www.brewpi.com/what-is-ideal-herms-coil-length-theory-experiments/

Does anybody have experience with HERMS coils around 25' in length? Are they responsive "enough"? Or does this all live in the theoretical?

Thanks in advance for your input brewers.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum! Take a look here at this discussion on HERMS coil length: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26335

The validity of that brewpi article is also discussed. ( Many would say that that experiment was flawed and therefore the conclusion meaningless )
Extra discussion here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28112

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
nschoeneck

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! I was an engineer at one point but now all that math makes my brain hurt. Will probably default to the 50' coil, even if some of it sticks above the waterline.

Another question:

Any concerns on the 15 gallon HLT/MT if I want to do 10 ga batches? I have brewed with my friend's keggle electric setup I help build (16.5 gallons), and have never felt the pinch on space except on the boil kettle. FWIW I have zero interest in very high alcohol beers.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nschoeneck wrote:
Thanks Kal! I was an engineer at one point but now all that math makes my brain hurt. Will probably default to the 50' coil, even if some of it sticks above the waterline.

No harm with that!

Quote:
Any concerns on the 15 gallon HLT/MT if I want to do 10 ga batches? I have brewed with my friend's keggle electric setup I help build (16.5 gallons), and have never felt the pinch on space except on the boil kettle. FWIW I have zero interest in very high alcohol beers.

If you don't have interest in high ABV beers then probably no issues.
Some of the questions in the FAQ discuss this too - take a look here:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/faq#How_much_beer_can_you_make_with_your_setup__What_size_kettles_should_I_buy__What_brand

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/faq#Why_do_all_three_kettles_need_to_be_the_same_size__Couldn_t_I_use_a_smaller_Mash_Lauter_Tun_or_Hot_Liquor_Tank_

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: