Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Need input on layout for this glorious brewery

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUpsideDownDog

Drinking: Grapefruit IPA, Coffee Stout

Working on: Kolsch, Berlinerweisse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Need input on layout for this glorious brewery Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Finally building the basement electric brewery. Looking for input from those of you who have made the jump.

I’m using a quarter section of my basement, and I built the brew plant in accordance with TheElectricBrewery.com 3 vessel 20 gal Blichmann Engineering boilermakers, brewing back to back batches, 12 gallons batches to net two full 5gal kegs. With pumps and a Brutus counterflow chiller, and fermenting in two 14 gal Ss Brewtech unitanks with FTSS heat/cooling, and two 7gal of the same for split batch experiments, run by a 3/8HP glycol chiller. I plan to have a table for some beer chemistry and two stir plates for starters.

I’ll likely expand into wine with a wine easy. So one extra table will likely contain the necessary parts for that.

Now to my questions, for those of you that made the jump.

How much space do you need for prep work and whatnot, what’s your layout.

What should I be planning for in regards to proximity of the sink to whatever else.

I am doing a floor drain, any input on sanitary there to keep the smell down?

The space is relatively square, would a center island be a good idea? I’m picturing some utility tables on casters for use as needed.

What worked well for those of you that made this jump? What didnt?

Unitanks, set on a table and pump up to them? Set on the ground then lift in order to keg? Help me draw out the set up.

Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott!

[quote]How much space do you need for prep work and whatnot, what’s your layout.[/quote[

You've probably already seen my layout, but if not, see it here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/gallery
Also check out the many videos/pictures I posted on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theelectricbrewery/
My basement build has info as well: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25593

Quote:
What should I be planning for in regards to proximity of the sink to whatever else.

The sink is key (IMHO). It's the most used piece of equipment.
My boil kettle is to the right of the sink so that I don't have to disconnect anything to clean it. I simply tilt it in towards the sink and spray.
The HLT is moved to the left of the sink to clean in the same way: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3A9OFUnYpj/

Quote:
I am doing a floor drain, any input on sanitary there to keep the smell down?

I don't dump on the floor (never seen the need) but I do have a floor drain, just in case. To give the water somewhere to go if ever there was an emergency. If you plan on discharging stuff in there like a regular sink, you need a p-trap.

Quote:
The space is relatively square, would a center island be a good idea? I’m picturing some utility tables on casters for use as needed.

I thought about this myself early on, but never ended up wanting or needing one. YMMV.

Quote:
Unitanks, set on a table and pump up to them? Set on the ground then lift in order to keg? Help me draw out the set up.

That's completely up to you. Lifting isn't possible with most vessels when full. 5 gallon ones maybe, but not bigger.

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
GrumpyWally

Drinking: Schwarzbier, Tripwire Tripel, 2 Czech Dark Lagers, Wee Heavy

Working on: Tripwire Tripel, Roggenbier

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to what Kal said:
Quote:
The sink is key (IMHO). It's the most used piece of equipment.

It's all about the sink.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. It's key to have it centered on what's called your "work triangle".
While a brewery may not be a kitchen, the same principles apply: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_work_triangle

Kal

TheUpsideDownDog

Drinking: Grapefruit IPA, Coffee Stout

Working on: Kolsch, Berlinerweisse

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are great, thanks for the input. This build has been much slower than anticipated. But it’s finally happening, I’ll post some pictures as it gets built.
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing those pictures Scott!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: