Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

American Amber Ale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I wouldn't worry about it. RDWHAHB! If you really want it, take another pack and pitch half in each.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
captacl

PostLink    Posted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem I was worried about nothing. It was just brewer stupidity. I forgot to clamp down the lid of the fermenter so the co2 was choosing an easier exit over the airlock. As soon as I clamped it down the airlock started bubbling like crazy. RDWHAHB might have been the issue actually. Probably had too many during the brewing process.
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kegged this one about a week ago. it tasted fine (although flat) at time of kegging but then it developed a sharp bitterness a day or two later. it is quite unpleasant, almost undrinkable and even has a metallic hint to it. i fined with gelatin and cold crashed in the carboy before kegging but even after pulling 4 or 5 pints, it was still pretty cloudy. fast-forward a few days and the beer is running clearer and that sharp bitterness is fading. similar thing happened to me with a fuller's esb a few months ago: several days of sharp bitterness and cloudiness followed by clear beer and a smoother taste. i'm used to some cloudiness in the first pint or two due to stuff settling out in the keg but this seems more extreme. it is interesting to see the similar effect as on the esb, considering those two beers have different yeast, grains, hops, etc.

anyone else ever have this issue? incomplete fermentation? gelatin still pulling stuff out of the beer? strange...
OkieDokie

Drinking: Electric ale, Weizen

Working on: Electric lager, American Amber Ale, Dirty Blonde

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not had those problems, but since it is occurring, regardless of the type of beer, it sounds more likely that it is something with your setup. Could be cleaning agent, line contamination, or something you're doing that has picked up something foul. Just a thought.
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkieDokie wrote:
i have not had those problems, but since it is occurring, regardless of the type of beer, it sounds more likely that it is something with your setup. Could be cleaning agent, line contamination, or something you're doing that has picked up something foul. Just a thought.

i use the same cleaning routine on all my brews/kegs and haven't had any problems except those couple times. and it was only a 'problem' for a few days before going away. the two batches in question that had the bitterness were served from different taps, different lines, etc. if it was my last two batches back-to-back i would be more concern but the fact that it happened on my third brew and then nothing for the next seven brews is sort of driving me nuts!

oh, i forgot to mention that i burst-carbonated the amber ale at 40 psi for a dy and a half or so. i'm thinking it just needed some time to mellow and i wouldn't even have noticed a problem if i let it carb at serving pressure for a couple weeks. the esb was not burst carbonated, however, so that one is a mystery...
itsnotrequired

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsnotrequired wrote:
i kegged this one about a week ago. it tasted fine (although flat) at time of kegging but then it developed a sharp bitterness a day or two later. it is quite unpleasant, almost undrinkable and even has a metallic hint to it. i fined with gelatin and cold crashed in the carboy before kegging but even after pulling 4 or 5 pints, it was still pretty cloudy. fast-forward a few days and the beer is running clearer and that sharp bitterness is fading. similar thing happened to me with a fuller's esb a few months ago: several days of sharp bitterness and cloudiness followed by clear beer and a smoother taste. i'm used to some cloudiness in the first pint or two due to stuff settling out in the keg but this seems more extreme. it is interesting to see the similar effect as on the esb, considering those two beers have different yeast, grains, hops, etc.

anyone else ever have this issue? incomplete fermentation? gelatin still pulling stuff out of the beer? strange...

fast forward a week and as suspected, the sharp bitterness has dropped out almost completely. beer now tastes like an amber ale should. another few days and it should be even better.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's beer o'clock!

I also posted some pics of my last American Amber Ale brew day to the first post of this thread.

Cheers!

windquest

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slightly confused. Early on one brewer delayed pitching for an overnight chill to pitch temps and may have had some wild yeast infection, but in other threads it has been suggested that you could chill to 80 degrees and then bring the wort to pitching temps in the fermenter. So how long is too long?

My question now is that although the bitterness is listed at 33 IBU's, the hop schedule and comments seem to indicate a hoppy component. My concern is my wife likes a nice amber ale but doesn't like hoppy or bitter....so is this in the ball park or not?

Henry
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windquest wrote:
I am slightly confused. Early on one brewer delayed pitching for an overnight chill to pitch temps and may have had some wild yeast infection, but in other threads it has been suggested that you could chill to 80 degrees and then bring the wort to pitching temps in the fermenter. So how long is too long?

You’re asking an unanswerable question. There’s no one answer. Depends on how well things are sealed up, what nasties get in there to start turning your wort into something you don’t want. The only fact here is that the sooner you pitch the yeast you want, the sooner it can overpower anything bad that may get in there instead.

Quote:
My question now is that although the bitterness is listed at 33 IBU's, the hop schedule and comments seem to indicate a hoppy component. My concern is my wife likes a nice amber ale but doesn't like hoppy or bitter....so is this in the ball park or not?

This is a hoppy American style beer. If she doesn’t like hop flavours she likely won’t like this. Only one way to find out however!

Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/american-amber-ale

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: