Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

TILT Hydrometer

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: TILT Hydrometer Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Recently purchased a TILT hydrometer. A device that slips into the fermenter and floats on the wort. It has an on-board sealed microprocessor that senses and transmits temperature and gravity data throughout the fermenting process to a Bluetooth device like a smart phone. This could be useful in deciding when to perform a Diacetyl Rest for Lagers or to know when fermentation is done without the need to pull samples. One question is how reliable is the low energy Bluetooth signal from the TILT. Did an out of the box test and review…

TILT TEST & REVIEW – Tested the Tilt in water as below:

Test 1 – Standard Glass Carboy (1 out of 1 times signal established)
Test 2 – Standard Glass Carboy inside Fermentation Chamber (1 out of 1 times signal established)
Test 3 – Better Bottle Plastic Carboy (1 out of 1 times signal established)
Test 4 – Better Bottle Plastic Carboy inside Fermentation Chamber (1 out of 1 times signal established)
Test 5 – Corny Keg (1 out of 1 times signal established)
Test 6 – Corny Keg inside Fermentation Chamber (4 out of 6 times signal established)

Comments: The unit easily slipped through the narrow openings of the carboys. Right out the box when placed in water, sg=1.000 (nice) and temperature was spot on when compared against my Thermapen digital thermometer. Signal strength for fermenting Ales should be consistent and not an issue. Signal strength for fermenting lagers could be less consistent (at least for my set-up inside an upright fridge). Tilt does offer a signal booster/repeater to strengthen the RF signal of the Tilt inside the fermenter. The booster is placed on top of the fermenter. Depending on where I place the fermenter in the fridge, it may not be needed. Haven’t tested the google sheets logger as I plan to use a different IoT data logging service. Good information can be found on YouTube for advanced settings like multi-point calibrations, etc.

tilt 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.75 KB
 Viewed:  19668 Time(s)

tilt 2.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few guys in my local brew club use these. They seem to get a lot of wacky charts of gravity over time. Examples:

https://i.imgur.com/6TMUdOR.png
https://i.imgur.com/Xv0TgkF.png

(red is gravity, blue is temperature)

That thing doesn't seem very accurate from one hour to the next, with gravity jumping around a lot.
If you took an average over the day, maybe it would be useful?

EDIT: More of my thoughts on the Tilt here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/measuring-gravity

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Wed May 20, 2020 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
chastuck

Drinking: Bitter

Working on: IPA

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four of the Tilts and find they are very accurate. They are very easy to calibrate if you find the gravity is a little off compared to a hydrometer. I even use them with my two stainless steel conical fermenters with no difficulty. The only possible draw back is that they tie up the use of a mobile phone if you want to keep a record from start to finish of a fermentation. I also have the repeater and find that this does improve the bluetooth range.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, several guys in my brew club have them as well. While they love the Tilt, a few have commented about transient variability especially during the first stages of fermentation when activity is the highest and the Tilt is jostled a bit.

I believe you can set the sampling rate from 5 secs to 15 mins. At least one club member uses trending and averaging to smooth out the readings via the app. In the process control world, there are ways to correct/account for transient readings - some process control algorithms take consecutive temp readings and average them before reporting the data for logging or control.

I'll have to research which method can provide more accuracy - high sampling rates with averaging or lower rates. I could calibrate the Tilt at three points as well.

My primary interest is not so much in knowing specific gravity in the middle game of fermentation- it's the very beginning and near the end of fermentation (when things settle down) that I'm interested in - for dry-hopping and Diacetyl rests.

The Tilt isn't perfect for sure, but then again, I routinely take three samples when using my refractometer because I never trust the first reading. I have had consecutive refractometer readings vary significantly- operator error perhaps, but nonetheless, had I plotted those readings, I suspect I'd get a chart with variability similar to the Tilt's. Ultimately, the good ole floating hydrometer is a safe bet with the trade off of pulling samples.

Will be interesting to try for the first time on the next brew...
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sample chart from a club member...

Tilt 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.87 KB
 Viewed:  19621 Time(s)

Tilt 3.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few places to purchase Tilt and support our forum - at no extra cost to you on our new order page:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/tilt-digital-wireless-bluetooth-hydrometer-thermometer

Your support is appreciated! (It feeds my kids). Thank you!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu May 16, 2019 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have support for the tilt at Brewers Friend and other devices now

https://docs.brewersfriend.com/devices/tilt

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any plans for an Arduino UNO interface?
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes streaming devices supported with the right script using your api key

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these as well, and will soon be adding a second.

I love the thing! No issues at all receiving the signal through a stainless conical.

As mentioned, you will need some form of receiving device if you want to monitor the Tilt 24/7. Luckily I had an old tablet laying around that did the trick.

I've not really seen an issue with the thing bouncing around SG readings, it looks to be steady and accurate for me.
I've only had it for a short while and have used it for three batches, but no issues!

I have it linked to the brew session in Brewers Friend and it's really cool to be able to check on my ferment from all the way across the country!
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested Brewstat - a logging/graphic website that interfaces with the Tilt/Raspberry Pi. Brewstat can also upload BeerSmith recipes as a comparison of the expected vs. actual fermentation results. Brewstat provides a running ABV and attenuation. The actual OG on this beer was lower than expected. Boiled the wort in a steam-jacketed boiler and I suspect the boil wasn't vigorous or consistent enough.

The Tilt performed well - relative smooth reading (15 minutes apart).

dunky.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.45 KB
 Viewed:  18468 Time(s)

dunky.jpg

johnpbuckles

Drinking: Juicy J NEIPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tilt has worked great from day one, and I don't know how I would ferment without it! Comparisons with my traditional glass hydrometer have always been within my own eyesight's ability, i.e. they seem to agree as far as I can possibly determine.
https://flic.kr/p/2j3P4co

Readings are taken every 15-20 seconds, and a moving average of those is posted (up to) every 15min to the cloud, to your end-point of choice. I use the Brewfather software http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332026#332026 and an old Android phone, which I leave on top of my fermenter. You can also setup a Rasberry Pi, which looks really neat, but a bit more complex. https://tilthydrometer.com/products/tilt-pi-v2-buster-feb20-raspberry-pi-sd-card-image-download
Gravity measurements are automatically adjusted for temperature, and it also provides you with temperature readings. This is great for a second measurement of your fermentation temperature, and honestly the only measurement I have available at the moment.

They also now sell a repeater, so if your fermenter is particularly bluetooth-hindering, or your logging device needs to be further away, it can extend the range of your Tilt. https://tilthydrometer.com/products/tilt-repeater

On my last tour of Avery Brewing in Boulder (Summer 2019) I KNOW I saw an employee looking at a computer screen with multiple Tilt Hydrometer read-outs. I had heard rumors that the Tilt was being used commercially, but now I'm convinced this is true. They probably have super-fancy/expensive software to track the readings, but the Tilt itself is plenty effective.

Cheers! Mug
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Tilts performed well too. I recently calibrated both at three points for greater accuracy. I use Tilt repeaters when my stainless steel fermenters are in the fridge. Repeaters work well.

I had heard that a possible improvement for the next generation may be conical-shaped heads that are less likely to collect trub and effect readings. You may have noticed that small amounts of trub collect on the top of the Tilts during fermentation which could effect readings.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently conducted a First Wort Hop experiment for a brew club on a Lager Beer to compare sensory impressions of a lager batch using FWH and one with traditional hop schedule. Both batches were fermented at the same time in a temp controlled chamber. Each batch's fermentation was monitored with a Tilt. The Tilts helped me determine when to perform a diacetyl rest without the need to take samples all the time.

DRAFT-FWH Experiment-chart.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.6 KB
 Viewed:  16471 Time(s)

DRAFT-FWH Experiment-chart.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnpbuckles wrote:
My Tilt has worked great from day one, and I don't know how I would ferment without it! Comparisons with my traditional glass hydrometer have always been within my own eyesight's ability, i.e. they seem to agree as far as I can possibly determine.

The Tilt is great for doing general trending and looking at averages, but it shouldn't be considered anywhere near accurate for a single reading during fermentation. Your graph shows this as during only a few hour period it's measured readings that sometimes are ~5-6 points *higher* than they were an hour or two earlier. That's impossible. A traditional glass hydrometer will never do this. Odd that your comparisons between the two were always be the same. It must have been pure concidence?

What this means at the end of the day is that you can't trust a single data point from the Tilt by itself. Make sure to use the data with the intended accuracy it provides (i.e. it's not meant for accurate readings). I know that Title states "The specific gravity is accurate +/- 0.002 within the Tilt's range of 0.990 to 1.120" but that's frankly useless and misleading without context. Yes, the technology may be that accurate when used in a laboratory still water condition but it doesn't get that accuracy in real life conditions as every graph of the tilt that has been published by brewers shows. Since most people use the Tilt for brewing (I assume) they should indicate that in real world conditions (i.e. during active fermentation) that the measurement could be off by as much as +/- 5 points. Hopefully all Tilt users realize this as they have graphs in front of them that show how big the swings can be sometimes from one hour to the next.

If you do want something that's a lot more accurate with the Tilt, interpose a trend line and only use that. Don't use the actual (individual) Tilt readings. A trend line (once it has enough data) should be fairly close to accurate and match what a hydrometer gives you as it gets rid of the 'noise' readings and averages things out.

The good news is that super-precise gravity measurement during fermentation isn't actually something we need in brewing. Really all a brewer cares about is an accurate original gravity (OG), the general trending during fermentation (not the specific data points), and then an accurate final gravity (FG).

When you measure ABV you need to use OG and FG hence the need for accuracy at those points. (Though some would argue that even being off by 10% in ABV isn't going to be noticed in the final product. More important for the commercial brewer who may want to present an accurate ABV to their consumers.)

In between those two points it's the general trending we care about. When we take actions (like doing a d-rest) they do not have to be done at very specific gravities. There's lots of leeway to when these actions are taken that will not affect the outcome. For example, many will do their d-rest after 2/3 of fermentation is done. Many others will do it about 5 points from terminal. Others will do it after terminal is reached. I've done them all. The difference is not apparent. Main reason to do it as early as possible is to speed up the cycle and get beer faster. Commercial brewers will do this as time is money. For home use I tend to go with somewhere near the end of fermentation, around 5 points from FG, just to make sure the yeast is still active (not dormant). 5 points is what I recommend in my recipes but it really doesn't matter much. Don't fret about the exact gravity. I don't - I just eyeball it from experience and I don't even have a Tilt. Wink

More info on the Tilt here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/measuring-gravity

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal I agree - I wouldn't get too hung up if one gravity reading is impossibly higher/lower than the previous - it is trends I'm looking at - rather than the minutiae. I don't care too much what happens during fermentation (in terms of SG) between OG and FG, except when I'm looking at the range of SG that I can begin the D-rest. The other readings in between are just a curiosity.
mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention too that sometimes I'll harvest yeast by top-cropping when I'm fermenting an ale. I'll do this especially for a yeast that refuses to fall (e.g. Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire). I'll harvest about 1/2 of the yeast cake from my ss bucket fermenter when fermentation is about 60%-70% done and the cake is the thickest. The Tilt helps me estimate when I'm in the range to begin harvesting. Works pretty well and no issues with reaching terminal gravity.
johnpbuckles

Drinking: Juicy J NEIPA

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I only rely on my Tilt to show me the general trend during fermentation. I think most people who use a Tilt understand this is more of the intent...

However, when resting in calm and still wort/beer, the Tilt's instantaneous readings do agree with my glass hydrometer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: