Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Mini Relay wiring issue...need guideance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Mini Relay wiring issue...need guideance. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Can anyone tell me how to wire the Zettler AZ2280-1C-12AF mini-relay?? I am using it to turn power on/off to my RIMs heating element (I run at 120V for this). Did allot of searching and can't seem to find a diagram that works. The NC terminal functions just fine, but I cant get the NO terminal to switch closed.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Googled the part and found this tech sheet that has wiring diagrams at the end:

https://datasheet.octopart.com/AZ2280-1C-12AF-American-Zettler-datasheet-12515070.pdf

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw that as well, but I really don't get it. The diagrams are confusing at best and the numbers are not identified on the terminals. Not sure which terminals are for what the more I look at it.
brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I look at the relay closely, there are three terminals on one side (COM, NO, NC). I assume the other side with two terminals are the coil. If I hook up the element load between the com and NO terminals, I would have expected that when power is applied (120V) accross the unlabeled terminals, that I would see power to the element...not so. If I hood the element to the NC/com terminals, power is constant to the element...no switching. Not sure what I am doing wrong.....or maybe the relay is bad??
brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, found this image that explains things a bit better to me. I think my relay is bad, I have coil hooked up properly and can pass 120V though it no problem, but I only get power between com/NC terminals weather the coil is activated or not, and nothing happens when I have load accross com/NO terminals. Or, maybe I really just have no clue how this is supposed to work.
[img]https://mdmphoto.smugmug.com/Vacation-and-Weekend/Phone-pictures-/i-vVh4mv8/A[/img]
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

If you think the relay is bad you should contact the seller for a replacement.
If you’re not sure how the relay works the manufacturer or maybe someone here has time to assist.
I’m afraid I don’t have time to support products sold by others. Would love to, but just don't have the time. Sorry! Good luck with your RIMS build!

Kal

brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I appreciate the responses. I have determined that it was definitely a bad relay, so for now since it's just a 120v circuit, I am switching it directly/mechanically until I get a different relay.
Everything else seems to work just fine so far, I just need to tune in the controllers and run a wet test on everything.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

Kal

Beerguy

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Relay Wiring Reply with quote

Your original post was in April. I hope you're up and running by now. But in case you're not. The spec. number of the zettler relay you included in the original post was for a relay with a 12 volt AC coil. Later in your posts, you mentioned using 120 volt AC for your control voltage. Do you have a voltage mismatch? Did the 120 volt control power burn out the 12 volt coil?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: