Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

High resolution photos of 30A panel wiring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: High resolution photos of 30A panel wiring Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
EDIT: July 2019 - See our order page for some newer high resolution photos: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/control-panels/products/standard-30a-electric-brewery-control-panel

For those that are curious, I thought I'd share some high resolution photos of the inside of our pre-built standard 30A control panels taken by one of our customers. This was a panel built by Mike at TheElectricBrewery.com. Very nice clean work as always!

I figured it's one thing to post product shots that come out of a professional photoshoot/lightbox as you know things are going to look perfect. It's a completely different thing to send a panel on an 8 hour trip down a bumpy road and then have a non-professional photographer (ie: customer) take photos without us knowing or asking... that's about as real as it gets. Wink

(Click on the images for the full resolution original photo)

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
barryhannah

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks amazing, almost as good as my own DIY one!*

*in my dreams.
sjp770

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very inspiring!! I hope I can be that neat Smile
atouk78

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. These images are really informative also, just staring at them for a bit helped with several things I was less than confident about with my own wiring work.
TomDD

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, hopelessly foolish electrical question:

in the instructions, it says this: "Which screws on the bus are used for the connections does not matter, but all wires connected to the bus must be tied together using short wire jumpers as the 8 small metal bars that make up the buses are not connected electrically. "

from what i'm seeing in those (I agree, very helpful) pics, it appears there's one connection on top of the bus, and the other connections are just connected in alignment...no jumpers. i would have expected anything connected to the bus to have a corresponding jumper wire on the screw directly above it to pass juice... now i'm concerned that i'm fundamentally misunderstanding something...

ugh,. i need a beer.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDD wrote:
from what i'm seeing in those (I agree, very helpful) pics, it appears there's one connection on top of the bus, and the other connections are just connected in alignment...no jumpers.

There are metal jumpers. Zoom in to see closer. They look sort of like this:

There are different types available. I mention them in the starting part of the wiring instructions as a tip. More details here:

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/terminal-strip-jumpers

Kal

Last edited by kal on Thu May 28, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomDD

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok... that is FREAKIN cool!
huaco

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those jumpers save a LOT of time!
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jphussey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this prebuilt, it looks like there is a terminal strip being used for the ground wires. I only see the ground post on the main body of the enclosure connected to the door; are all of the other components being grounded just through the backplate -> backplate screws?

Or is there a wire going from the main body's ground post to that terminal strip?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jphussey wrote:
In this prebuilt, it looks like there is a terminal strip being used for the ground wires. I only see the ground post on the main body of the enclosure connected to the door; are all of the other components being grounded just through the backplate -> backplate screws?

Or is there a wire going from the main body's ground post to that terminal strip?

Grounding is done through the backplate to the enclosure as you mentioned. There's also a grounding wire from the back part of the enclosure to the door.

Kal

GLRRA47

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there high res pictures of a 50 A panel by chance?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLRRA47 wrote:
Are there high res pictures of a 50 A panel by chance?

Sorry, no! There are some pictures of the insides in the build instructions however.

Kal

dirtyderek

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you have 2 neutrals coming off the power in coil. Assuming one goes to the neutral bus, where is the other going? I don't see that in the instructions.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyderek wrote:
I see you have 2 neutrals coming off the power in coil. Assuming one goes to the neutral bus, where is the other going? I don't see that in the instructions.

Please ignore pictures of wired panels as there is more than one way to wire a panel not to mention it's impossible to try and follow where wires go in a picture of a real panel. Instead, use the wiring diagrams. Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total
LGarby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyderek wrote:

It goes to one of the pump neutral plugs which is then daisy chained to the other pump plug. I tried following the wiring that Mike does in his panels cause it looks fantastic but ran into issues at places including here as the holes for the wires on the pump and power in are not large enough to accommodate two conductors as shown in the photo, at least with the gear that shipped with the panel kit when I bought it back in December. I wound up using these photos as a guide but ultimately relying on the wiring guides Kal created.
dirtyderek

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. lol! it has been a little confusing. but i figured out my mistake... i think. will know when i plug in tomorrow.
Chris55

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, first time poster here..... great website...... but it's costing me a lot of money!!!

Anyhow, I'm mid build of my 240V UK spec panel based very closely on Kal''s design and about to embark on the wiring.

Whilst browsing the forum posts I noticed the link on this thread to new high res images from July 2019. I've spotted that these images now show crimped connectors on the 10 gauge wires leading in and out of the contactors. I'm curious as to why this update has taken place and what type of connector is being used.

At first I thought they were round bootlace ferrules but looking closer it seems the metal terminal has a square profile, not round like a bootlace ferrule. Image 6 in the series of new photos shows this best where the 2 hot lines feed into the contactor. Maybe it's simply squashed into a square profile when the contactor screw is tightened, or alternatively, have crimp 'pin' connectors been used instead which have a more square profile at the terminal? (no sign of these in the online shop though).

Ultimately, since the design now includes crimped terminals rather than bare wire, and the high current involved, what connector type is going to give best contact between wire and contactor?

Thanks in advance
Chris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Using ferrules like this can provide better contact when using certain types of connections. It can also be a cleaner look, and allows for simpler servicing (if required). Sometimes you may want to insert 2 wires where it may be a tight fit so there dual versions too. We use them on our pre-built panels a lot.

We sell different varieties here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/din-rail-components

10 gauge ones are here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/din-rail-components/products/10-gauge-wire-ferrule-yellow

They are square only because they've been crimped. They start off round.

You don't need to use these ferrules when building using most components, but some components do recommend them.

Good luck!

Kal

Chris55

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, thanks for the quick reply.

Now I understand. I had looked on the wiring page of your online shop but not the DIN rails component page where it shows the ferrules clearly!

It does look neater and quite possibly gives a better contact between wire and component.

Looking forward to getting the wiring started, although Mike has set the bar very high with his uncompromisingly neat wiring. Do you know if he forms these by hand each time or has he got a jig set to form the wires around before offering them into the panel?

Thanks again
Chris
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris55 wrote:
Do you know if he forms these by hand each time or has he got a jig set to form the wires around before offering them into the panel?

He builds most of the wire harnesses outside of the panels first - especially the big bundles that go between door and backplate.
A discussion about this a couple of years ago that has some examples of harness building for those who are not familiar with it: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=321661#321661

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: