Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Rear-duct vent

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klindeman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Rear-duct vent Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi everyone! Got all my pots, and pumps and control panel all setup, and started to go through a test boil with water. Working great so far!

In doing so, I decided it wasn't wise to wait on a vent hood. My garage, even with the door open, was clearly getting steamy and starting to smell of fresh wood. I only noticed this on my boil kettle, the MT and HLT were fine as I had the top on the pot the whole time. I don't have much space above me, and don't really feel like cutting a hold in my roof right now (but might have to!), so I was looking for some rear-duct vents without having to build a unit with my own blower like Kal did.

I was looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmo-COS-5MU36-Under-Cabinet-Stainless/dp/B077BPDF8S/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=range+hood+30+inch&qid=1564428203&s=gateway&sr=8-28-spons&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=c8b97a9b3c1779e6fba0b61391ddd96e&language=en_US

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmo-Cabinet-Control-Aluminum-Lighting/dp/B01NACQJ94/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=range+hood+30+inch&qid=1564427153&s=gateway&sr=8-16&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=ad4a925fb9c6828525e8d96858979374&language=en_US

I might have enough room for a top-duct with an angle that immediately goes out the wall, but I haven't measured yet. How low is the minimum height you would want to mount something like this to make the boil kettle usable without the vent getting too in the way.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I realize these look like they might be a little low on the CFM rating, but I basically plan on having a very minimal amount of ducting so was hoping that I would be able to get away with something like these. This is mounting directly on the wall that I would be cutting a hole in.

Thanks everyone!
Kevin
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear-duct vent Reply with quote

klindeman wrote:
How low is the minimum height you would want to mount something like this to make the boil kettle usable without the vent getting too in the way.

That's completely up to you. Take a mash paddle or whatever else you like use on the brew day day and see how much room you need to work in a way that's comfortable for you. As well, you may want it high enough so that you don't bunch your head, or you may not.

Give my ventilation article a read too as I cover spacing and distances that I used in my original setup: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
klindeman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal. I think I found a hood that would work, but I might also try to build one custom for my space with the help of a local welder.

I measured around a bit, and I don’t have enough room vent a hood with a vertical duct without having it go out the roof, and the rear duct hoods looked very limiting.

If anyone had any recommendations on a rear duct hood, or recommendations for resources on running the ducting through the wall, I am all ears!
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear-duct vent Reply with quote

klindeman wrote:
My garage, even with the door open, was clearly getting steamy and starting to smell of fresh wood. I only noticed this on my boil kettle, the MT and HLT were fine as I had the top on the pot the whole time.

I'm not sure how big the garage is or how it's laid out, but when I brewed for a few months in my garage (while the basement was being finished) I found that the only issue was also the boil. Over time the steam going straight up would or could cause some condensation on the drywalled ceiling directly above the kettle. Definitely not something you want. So I simply used a $20 simple fan pointed at the ceiling above the boil kettle to ensure that the steam was dispersed. Worked fine. Unless it's a special setup and/or you want to brew with the garage door closed, I don't see why you'd need a vent hood in a garage if you can keep the door open and keep the air moving around somewhat. Cheers!

Kal

klindeman

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Kal. That was basically what I came up with while I was overwhelmed looking at all the hood choices. I will do that for a while until I make up my mind.

Hope to have some pics of my system up soon!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: