Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy Jr. (New England Pale Ale)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am so behind the times... NEIPA... didn't know it was a style; apparently I need to brew this.

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do! Life is not complete without it... Wink

More info on the style: http://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/21b-specialty-ipa-new-england-ipa/

Or you can just read my recipe here for my take: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30768

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using a second fermenter of equal size for the final 3 days in the brite tank. Can you help confirm, would I drop the temps down to cold crash 38F temps in these final 3 days? And would I want to add the final hops after this drop or prior to? Thanks!
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not drop the temp when dry hopping. Otherwise extraction is slower and takes longer.
See the notes section of the recipe for the exact process I use. Feel free to change it up any way you like of course!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I would not drop the temp when dry hopping. Otherwise extraction is slower and takes longer.
See the notes section of the recipe for the exact process I use. Feel free to change it up any way you like of course!

Kal

Thanks Kal. Yea, I try to follow your notes in the recipes to the very letter! But I didn't see any clarification about temps and always assumed brite tanks are used typically much closer to serving and crashing temps.

I'll leave it at the 71 degrees that it's been at and will get things moving along! Only 3 days till I get to enjoy! Thank you again for everything!!

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the beer!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must give massive credit to Kal. I finally put this into kegs and served it this 4th of July.
It's possibly the best beer I've made to date and everyone that was fortunate enough to try it agreed.

Here's a little photo of the finished product and the beer tap I used along with it! Smile

I had to leave it in the bright tank an extra 48 hours due to circumstances (after crashing to 40F), so taste wise it may have a little bit of extra bitterness on the end due to this but otherwise it's fantastic!! Big ups to Kal - I can not wait to make this again

65863418_10101411739948802_8937092937360080896_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.74 KB
 Viewed:  35786 Time(s)

65863418_10101411739948802_8937092937360080896_n.jpg

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Glad you like it alphakry!

It's the perfect summer beer for me - not overly high ABV and really refreshing. I hasn't come off my tap rotation since I first brewed the final version back in 2017. Everyone seems to like it!

Kal

BrewingGreek

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Cloudy Reply with quote

First time brewing... ever.

Currently been 3 days, and it's very very thick and cloudy. Gravity seems as I'd expect.

Regarding the thickness and cloudiness, I suspect this will pass with time?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's been 3 days since you pitched the yeast?

It's normal for beer to not, well, look like beer when it's fermenting. Cloudy is normal. There may even be chunks, trub, and so forth. I'm not sure what you mean by "thick". The actual liquid is thick like molasses? That shouldn't be the case if that's what you mean. You also shouldn't be playing in there much, even as tempting as it can be. Let the yeast do its thing. Wink

Note that this beer is actually supposed to be cloudy too given the New England style. It's one of the trademarks. See the 'big brother' version for details: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30768

Cheers!

Kal

BrewingGreek

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not thick like molasses. Looks like chunks of grain or hops...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chunks of hops makes sense since you added some early during fermentation. It’s part of the recipe. These hops will remain in the fermenting beer until the next step. Chunks of grain should not make it into your boil kettle however. I can't comment further on that as I don't know your setup and/or if you actually have grain in your fermenter. (Regardless of your brewing setup you should never have grain in your fermenter).

Given that it's your first beer from what I can tell, your questions are completely normal. It doesn't quite look like something you'd want to drink until you get to the end. Have no fear! It'll all be good in the end! Wink

Happy brewing!

Kal

Squid

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - do you have any alternative yeast recommendations? OBK doesn't seem to have any 1318 in stock right now. On hand I have US-5 and Omega hothead ale.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, as that's a very personal thing (taste). I went through a bunch of different ones before settling on WY1318 - see the 'big brother' Electric Hop Candy recipe for details: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30768

Long story short, feel free to use whatever you like, but I'd want it to be fruity/estery and out of the half a dozen or so yeasts I tried I preferred WY1318 (but that's just me).

Keep in mind too that the rest of the recipe (including the mash temp) assumes WY1318. If you use a yeast that attenuates more or has different flavours you may want to tweak things accordingly.

Good luck!

Kal

Squid

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBK doesn't have any, and Amazon.ca has none so I guess I'll try the hothead ale. It has an attenuation of 75-85% so likely will end up with a dryer beer. Sad Do you think I should up the non-fermentables a tad?
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the yeast you want to use is known to be more attenuative than WY1318 you can certainly increase the amount of non-fermentables. Cheers!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on skipping the brite tank step and just doing the # 2 dry hop addition in the original fermenter? Would this cause it to be too bitter due to sitting on the # 1 addition for too long?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
Any thoughts on skipping the brite tank step and just doing the # 2 dry hop addition in the original fermenter? Would this cause it to be too bitter due to sitting on the # 1 addition for too long?

It will likely be fine. Try both ways and let us know!

Kal

alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal, I am also a firm believer of just trying something to see my own results. But it's always helpful and a boost of confidence when you chime in so thank you. And somewhat related concerns...

My current process involves waiting 3 days after fermentation (diacetyl rest) before cold crashing to around 42 degrees with CO2 and a carb stone, so as to have the beer carb'd and ready to consume by the time it hits the kegs.

If I was to go ahead and single vessel dry hop - or even follow your original steps and keep the brite tank step in there... would you have concerns or predictions of what to expect when it sits on all these hop additions an additional 24-36 hours while cold crashing and carbing? same opinion as above?

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - It should be fine.

One of the reasons for short contact time with hops is that most extraction is done early. It used to be that most people would dry hop with a single addition for 7-10 days. Nowadays people tend to go with shorter contact time and multiple additions. I wouldn't be concerned with going a bit longer. It likely won't have any benefits but also not be detrimental to just go an extra day.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: