Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Hop Stopper 2.0 Crushed - fixable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Hop Stopper 2.0 Crushed - fixable? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all - I got a new Hop Stopper 2.0 and brewed 2 weeks ago with it and had no issues and am happy to report that it worked like a charm on Brew #1! I brewed yesterday for Big Brew and I noticed that the flow rate into my fermenter went from what I would expect (slow trickle) to barely dripping. It took over an hour to fill at this rate. I noticed my hoses looked crushed as well, so I thought they were not being fed properly. I took my mash paddle and tried scraping some hop matter (4oz in a 12 gallon batch) off of the Hop Stopper 2.0 and still did not get an improvement in flow. I decided to ride it out at this point - which may have been a mistake. Once the kettle was drained the hops were caked on so hard and dry they reminded me of a thick felt. This is when I noticed the Hop Stopper was absolutely crushed flat like a pancake. I'm guessing the pump was pulling so hard for wort it collapsed the mesh.

I was not watching the system when all this happened unfortunately so I don't know if something happened to cause this.

I read the instructions and the Brew day step-by-step to make sure I wasn't doing anything I wasn't supposed to.

Anyone come across this before? Is it possible to fix it to get it to pop back up? I imagine the heightened profile is important for flow. I can get pictures if need be.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I've asked the Hop Stopper manufacturer to chime in here as well, but I had this happen once during my fast flow test of the Hop Stopper 2.0. It's an easy fix: Use the handle of a wooden or plastic kitchen spoon inserted through the grommet. Just use the handle to push out the indentations. Takes a minute or two to do. Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to pop them out - they seem like they are creased. I tried a chopstick, wooden spoon and a long screwdriver but the screens are almost creased to the point of no return. I think I'm going to have to toss this one.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creases are fine - you can definitely pop them out as it's stainless mesh - it can always be bend back. You just need to push a bit harder, bend further to get it to bounce back into it's normal resting place. That's what I had to do when I collapsed mine during testing. There's no reason why it wouldn't work. You can also email the manufacturer at HopStopper@TheElectricBrewery.com for assistance - they're extremely responsive.

Kal

siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried everything on this and no luck. I'm going to toss it and get another one. Thanks for the assistance!
ihomebrewsolutions

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Dennis Collins here, manufacturer of the Hop Stopper 2.0. Shoot me an e-mail at HopStopper@TheElectricBrewery.com and I'm sure we can work something out.
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll send a message over.
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did want to post an update on this - I spoke with the manufacturer and we went over my process and we think what probably happened is that I was pumping the wort out too fast which sucked the hop matter onto the screen. He did recommend whether you are whirlpooling or pumping it through the chiller, no more than 1 gallon per minute should pass through the screen.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update!

Keeping flow under 1 GPM at all times is best. It's what's recommended on the Hop Stopper order page and in the manual. Just to be safe.

Cheers!

Kal

siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal - When I read the manual, I took the part about keeping the flow rate at <1 GPM only when whirlpooling. My mistake on this.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any flow through the Hop Stopper should be limited to 1 GPM (max). The Hop Stopper doesn't know if you're recirculating to whirlpool or dumping through a chiller into your fermenter, or spraying your kids with hot wort (Wink). It doesn't understand the difference - All it knows is that it's flow through the Hop Stopper screen.

1 GPM is pretty fast. For example, that would be like trying to chilling 12 gallons of boiling wort through a chiller to the fermenter in less than 12 minutes.

Kal

siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to brew today and I changed things up as recommended and it worked like a champ. It was definitely my fault on this one.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it worked out ok!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: