Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Electric Hop Candy (New England IPA / NEIPA)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For what it's worth over the years I've used various hop bags and containers to dry hop in kegs, including log 2' dry hop cylinders like this: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Stainless-Steel-Dry-Hopper-for-Kegs

I find the hops clump up too much, resulting in poor extraction, even if you give the keg a little rock a few times/day. The movement doesn't work well as the hops are too clumped together. Especially true with bags where the only wort <-> hop movement is on the outside. Much better to let the hops roam free as they'll float on top. Like so:

Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOXteTEgPi-/?taken-by=theelectricbrewery

Then give the keg or vessel a little rock a few times a day and they'll sink a bit and float around a lot, getting great contact and extraction. (If using something clear like this, make sure to cover it up normally to avoid light exposure).

When it's time to rack to the keg I don't use any sort of filter as it just gets clogged. So some hop bits get into the keg which isn't a big deal as they're stopped by my Hop Stopper 2.0 Keg Edition filters: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/hop-stopper

They go on the end of the keg racking cane and look like this:

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
alphakry

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! Yea, I'm planning on picking up a few of those!

My only concern with those is that if you close transfer into the keg, any debris would be trapped inside of this filter rather then outside. These are really only for use with open keg transfers rather then filling through the liquid post, correct?

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:

That's my plan for my first attempt. Do you use any type of hop bag/container or do you just dry hop directly into the wort? I am rocking a big ol' conical so i figure everything will settle for me to rack off of anyhow, not really requiring a container

No I just put it all straight in the fermenter no bags / filters etc. Cold crash for 2 - 3 days and straight to the keg.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphakry wrote:
My only concern with those is that if you close transfer into the keg, any debris would be trapped inside of this filter rather then outside. These are really only for use with open keg transfers rather then filling through the liquid post, correct?

See the FAQ on the order page: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/hop-stopper/products/hop-stopper-2-0-keg-edition-1-pack

Specifically the section "I FILL MY KEGS THROUGH THE LIQUID OUT DIP TUBE. CAN I STILL DO THAT IF THE HOP STOPPER KEG EDITION IS ATTACHED TO THE DIP TUBE?"

Kal

codex

Drinking: American Pale Ale, NEIPA, German Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingredients: just getting my shopping list together to order.

In the UK, I have 2 choices of Maris Otter, Extra Pale at EBC. 3 or regular at EBC. 6. Any preference?

Also cannot get hold of Australian Galaxy at present. Apparently Centennial is a good substitute. I can get the BBC Centennial which is supposed to be better for dry hopping. Anyone used this hop with this recipe?

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codex wrote:
Ingredients: just getting my shopping list together to order.

In the UK, I have 2 choices of Maris Otter, Extra Pale at EBC. 3 or regular at EBC. 6. Any preference?

The one I use is 'regular' Maris Otter that is closer to EBC 6 or around 3L.

Quote:
Also cannot get hold of Australian Galaxy at present. Apparently Centennial is a good substitute. I can get the BBC Centennial which is supposed to be better for dry hopping. Anyone used this hop with this recipe?

I've not found them that similar.

Centennial: This balanced bittering and aromatic hop has a decidedly American nature with a uniquely pungent flavor. An intense citrus aroma with pronounced lemon notes also gives off some floral qualities that blend well with IPAs, APAs, and Pale Ales. Centennial is sometimes referenced to as a super charged Cascade without the grapefruit flavors of Cascade. Centennial also blends well with Chinook and Columbus hops.

Galaxy: Gentle citrus with passion fruit notes, along with a high alpha acid level. Similar to Citra, but with the tropical fruit toned down and a bit more grassy flavour. While traditionally an Australian hop, the New Zealand variety is very similar.

Both will of course work.

Keep in mind that it's completely up to you how you sub out ingredients as anything will work - it's a matter of personal preference. Good luck!

Kal

codex

Drinking: American Pale Ale, NEIPA, German Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking the water profile for brew day.

The NEIPA recipe calls for mg at 10, while the Water Adjustment Guide says mg at 18

Which figure should I use

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codex wrote:
Just checking the water profile for brew day.
The NEIPA recipe calls for mg at 10, while the Water Adjustment Guide says mg at 18
Which figure should I use

Good catch! Thanks for catching that. The recipe should say Mg=18, not Mg=10. I've fixed it now. That said, that extremely minor difference will never be noticeable in the finished product.

Kal

askulas

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kal,
Looking to brew this beer. Looks solid. Sorry if my question has already been answered but the pictures in the beginning of the thread shows containers for steeping at 160degrees while the recipe shows 180degrees. Assuming this wasn't a typo and that you've actually done this a multiple temps in your experimentation, can you please elaborate on why you went with 180 in your final recipe? What were your perceptions of the differences in steeping at 160 vs 180? Thanks!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the hop presence better! Try both and decide for yourself which you prefer. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewing this one again today... it's a popular one!

Video of the control panel pulsing the HLT heating element, holding the mash steady at exactly 160F: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1L7ub5HCSH/

Set and forget!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/electric-hop-candy-new-england-style-ipa-neipa

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Keep an eye on it - the blowoffs tend to get even more crazy after you add hops!

Here's mine last night, 24 hours after adding hops (48 hours after I pitched the yeast): https://www.instagram.com/stories/theelectricbrewery/

Kal
A little crazy? I've made this a few times and never experienced what happened this batch. It was already blowing off a little. I added the hops to the chronical and replaced the lid. It started going crazy. It blew off at least 2 gallons of foam over 20 minutes. I've never seen that before. I have no idea why it was so extreme this time. I just hope there is some beer, hops, and yeast left.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was colder so more CO2 in solution? The hops add lots of nucleation points for the CO2 to come out of solution.

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you just let the immersion chiller rest on the top of the heater element? or do you use something like the hangover immersion chiller that hangs over the side? https://www.exchilerator.com/product/immersion-chiller/
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use one that hangs over the side, like so: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/immersion-chiller
I don't rest it on the heating element.

Pic from one of my brew days from the recipe tapge: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOAqF87glt8/?utm_source=ig_embed

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool... so this one from Great Fermentations would be good for the 20Gal Blichmann? https://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/copper-immersion-wort-chiller/wort-chillers?a=ebrew (edited by Kal as suggested to support our website at no extra cost to you!)

I haven't used one in a while so would just as soon know exactly the best option even if it costs more. I'm thinking simply hang it on the side of the BK connect it to the sink that is adjacent to it and things would be peachy...

Thanks.

Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerz wrote:
OK cool... so this one from Great Fermentations would be good for the 20Gal Blichmann? https://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/copper-immersion-wort-chiller/wort-chillers?a=ebrew (edited by Kal as suggested to support our website at no extra cost to you!)

Yup, that'll work well!

We're talking a couple of minutes to chill to the lower temp so no point in spending more. I do mention in the recipe: "even the cheapest 25' x 3/8" immersion chiller will only take 2-3 minutes to chill from 212F to 180F)"

So what you linked to will work great (it has 25 feet of 3/8" copper tubing).

Good luck and let us know how the beer turns out!

Kal

Fal

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Maybe it was colder so more CO2 in solution? The hops add lots of nucleation points for the CO2 to come out of solution.

Kal
Turned out fine. I was worried I lost too much better, hops, or yeast. It finished by the numbers and taste great. I'm about 1/2 gallon short of two full kegs, though.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it turned out well Fal! The amount of hops in the boil, post-boil and dry hopped really do soak up a lot of beer. That's why I like to bet at 12 gallons post boil in the kettle (@68F). Enjoy the beer!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12
Jump to: