Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Question about contactors

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Question about contactors Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Getting ready to wire my components up, and realized that the contactor I bought for the main power input switch was a 50A (3pole) that has a 208/240V coil rather than a 110V coil. Am I correct in assuming that the coil would not operate properly if I only wired 110V to it, or can I get by with it as is?
701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably won't operate at all.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

701pilot is correct. If the coil needs 208V-240V, it likely will not close if fed 110V. It may just hum. If it does close, I wouldn't trust it to stay closed.

If building to our instructions you only need a 2 pole contactor (not 3). If you want to buy the right one, the 50A one with 110-120V coil is here: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/ssrs-relays-contactors/products/50a-250v-dpdt-contactor-120v-ac-coil

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
brewmaster

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal....a side question for you...the 240V contactor that I had also has a push button in the middle of the top face....what is that for???
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea. You'd have to ask whoever sold it to you. Are you sure it's a pushbutton?

Kal

701pilot

Drinking: Bohemian Pilsner,Caribou Slobber, Munich Helles, Weissbier, Black Bute Porter, RIS, Irish Red Ale

Working on: Milk Chocolate Stout

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That button is the manual way to engage the contactor. Push it in and contact is made. It is spring loaded to break the contact when you let go of the button. It usually is used to test the contactor without engaging the start circuitry.

I can't change the laws of physics but with enough horse power I can chase it into submission.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Ok, yes, some relays / contactors have manual engagement modes. Not needed here unless you want one for testing purposes. They're often completely mechanical.

My safe start relay actually has one - it's the red button on the front:

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: