Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Water turned blue while cleaning - Dry Fire in BK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Water turned blue while cleaning - Dry Fire in BK Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I recently purchased a hop stopper 2.0, so when I installed it I decided to run a deep clean cycle at the same time. I did a 3 hour cycle with the flow being BK -> Wort Pump -> CFC -> MLT -> Water Pump -> BK. Once I got the flow rates balanced (or so I thought), I stepped away for 5-10 minutes. It turns out I did not have them balanced and the BK ran low. During this time, my element was dry firing. Once I realized my mistake, I started pumping more water back into the BK and the amount of steam coming out was quite a bit and I heard the element sizzling. Once the element was covered, I began recirculating again. After about 30 minutes, I was ready to finish cleaning up but I noticed the water had a strong blue tint to it. To make sure I wasn't going crazy I asked my wife to look and she agreed. I pumped all of that water out, and put fresh water in and recirculated and there was no blue tint. I then ran that off and flushed the system again.

I kept the element firing once it was covered again, and it seemed to keep the temperatures stable, so I don't think it's broken but I'm not sure how to tell if it is no good anymore. I purchased the UWLD elements and read in the instructions that these are more tolerant of dry firing. Once I rinsed everything off I tried to scrub the element and it didn't have any weird film on it or anything and the finish felt the same as the one in the HLT.

Any idea where this blue tint came from and is it harmful? My guess would be the element versus the copper CFC. I didn't rinse off the hop stopper 2.0 before I installed it, but I doubt it would have caused this.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to clean? I'm assuming PBW or similar?

Your element was likely not clean and the tint you're seeing is what you cleaned off.

If the element still works it's fine.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using PBW, correct. The only thing that is blue that I use is the blue scrub sponge that I wipe the elements down with, but I ended up switching that out for a long handled pot washer brush a few months back. Maybe we'll just call it an oddity at this point. I am thinking I will just run another PBW cycle and if everything looks fine after that, I'll give it a full rinse and go from there.

Thanks!
siestakey

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to report after the 2nd full PBW rinse and subsequent flush, everything is clear! Used it for Big Brew!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Using Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: