Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Timothy Taylors Landlord - Boil Length / Malliard Reaction

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Timothy Taylors Landlord - Boil Length / Malliard Reaction Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Im not sure how many of you have heard of Timothy Taylors Landlord, but it is one of the most famous British Beers and many time winner of Champion Beer of Britain along with numerous other awards.

It was created back in 1952 and has stood the test of time. It is still one of the best examples of a British Pale Ale around. The bottled version does not do it justice - the cask however is superb.

There are several recipes on several forums with various takes but I have not found one which can claim to be a close replica of Landlord.

The make up of the recipe is as follows:

100% Golden Promise
East Kent Goldings
Fuggles
Styrian Goldings
Wyeast 1469
4.3%ABV

Simple enough right? Well this is where it gets tricky.

According to most have brewed using the above, the beer comes out much lighter in colour with a taste that lacks the complexity of Landlord. In particular the slightly sweet and caramel /toffee notes.
There is much speculation about how Timothy Taylor achieves this using only Golden Promise. Some suggest they use a caramelised syrup made from the wort which is then added back to the boil kettle.

Most of the attempts to replicate this by home brewers either comes by adding black malt at a very small %, caramalt or by taking the first runnings of the wort, caramelising it in a pan and then adding back to the boil kettle. Non however have really given the desired effect.

I have also done a bit of reading into this and have another take on it. Is it possible that the brewery may be doing a longer boil? i.e. rather than caramelising the wort (which would be extremely difficult if not impossible in a boil kettle due to temp required for caramelisation of wort), are they extending the boil and relying on the malliard reaction to give the desired complexity and colour.

Does anybody have any experience of longer boils?

I haven't tried a longer boil but was looking for an educated starting point if possible. Ie. 3 hrs 5 hrs??? If anyone has experience, how long would a boil need to be before a diffenece in colour and taste was noticed?

Any thought or opinions would be much appreciated.

Rivet
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done ~2 hour boils for my barleywine: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25256

You can boil as long or hard as you like.

How long is needed before you notice a difference in colour and taste will vary based on the beer and ingredients used, how hard you boil, and your perception. There are no black and white numbers. Experimentation would be required. That's part of the fun!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
rivetcatcher

Drinking: Way Out Wheat - Mindcircus

Working on: Zombie Dust

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree with experimentation, i was thinking of starting with a 3hr boil. But adding the hops at the same stage as I would if doing a 90 min boil

I would love to nail this recipe. I’ve read about people making Wee Heavy with long boils of 9 to 12 hrs....with one of the reasons being to get a nice sweetness to the beer and a darker colour. I thought it could be applied here to try and get similar effects.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: