Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Going overseas. Buck Boost transformer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scabral

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Going overseas. Buck Boost transformer? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all.
I am moving overseas with my family (Portugal) in the near future and plan on bringing my full system with me.
That being said, has anyone been successful with setting up their US-made system (control panel, pumps, et all) overseas by simply using a Buck/Boost transformer beforehand?

Current setup is running at 110v, 60Hz (US)
- 50 amp panel (30+ gallons)
- 3 x 30 gallon Blichman pots
- 2 x chugger pumps
- hoses, etc.

The location I am moving to is:
- 230v
- 50hertz

Would I be able to run my US system abroad by running it trough a buck/boost step down transformer? One that would step down the 230v to 110v?
Also do I need to get one that can handle the same Amps (or more)?
Do I need to specify 50Hz vs 60Hz since this panelis actually setup to handle both?

Any advice/recommendations?
Any reason why I shouldn’t go this route?
Any pros/cons?

Thank you all in advance.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A voltage increaser/reducer will not work. The North American panels uses both 120V and 240V. The international panels uses only 240V. It's not one or the other.

Frequency (50 or 60Hz) does not matter.

There is no straightforward way to do what you propose I'm afraid.

Kal

P.S. You asked this question twice in two different threads so I removed the other. We've also received your email about your request for panel conversion and our manufacturer will be replying shortly. Cheers!

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
JSB

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

What about utilizing a properly sized center tap transformer?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JSB -

There are probably most certainly ways to do this, but I was careful in my wording by saying "There is no straightforward way to do what you propose" as (maybe I'm wrong) but it appeared that Scabral was looking for something simple (plug and play). I do not know of a device that takes 240V at 30 amps and provides both 120V and 240V (you need both).

If you can find a way to safely provide both 120V and 240V at the currents required and then create some sort of adapter box that feeds them into a 30A/240V 4-spade dryer-style receptacle so that the existing power cord can be used unmodified then yes, anything is possible. That said I haven't done this myself or thought about the implications of how GFI breaker(s) would work safely to do this. This would have to be analyzed/designed/tested more closely.

Kal

Scabral

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Kal. Much appreciated.
The option for a transformer in this case is out.
I sent you and Mike at Spike an email in regards to converting my current panel.
When either of you have a chance, could you let me know what my options are.
Thank you once again.

Sam
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

We've received your email about your request for panel conversion and our manufacturer will be replying shortly. Cheers!

Kal

Scabral

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the super quick response Kal!
That's great news.

Cheers!
Sam
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Building Your Brewery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: