Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cold Steeping/mashing Dark Malts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewpilot

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Cold Steeping/mashing Dark Malts Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Has anyone used the mash tun to cold steep their dark malts before they started brewing? There is a bunch of info on cold steeping over night at room temperature, but I was wondering if anyone has used the recirculating pump in the mash tun to do this? If so how long did you do it and did you see a benefit from this method?

I am considering trying this for a Chipotle Porter. After recirculating room temp water over the dark grains for a period of time I would remove that wort and grains, brew as usual minus the dark malts and add the dark malt wort to the last 10 minutes of the boil. I think the recirculating will give me better results than just soaking.
rcrabb22

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cold steep the roasted barley for my stouts at the ratio of 2 quarts water to 1 lb of grain. I use a muslin grain bag filled with the grain in large stainless steel bowl setting at room temperature over night. I cover the bowl with a towel to protect the mixture from airborne "stuff." While Gordon Strong contends the liquid is shelf stable, I always add the steeping liquid to the BK for the last 10 minutes for sanitation purposes.

I never considered re-circulation and I would doubt the volume of liquid is large enough for most dark grain bills to support re-circulation.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason you don't just throw them in with the other grains that will be mashed?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold steeping dark grains can avoid lowering the mash pH too far and reduces the chance of astringency which can occur from over-steeping highly roasted grains. Dark grains like black malt or roasted barley do not need to undergo conversion for brewing for you don't need to mash them, only steep.

I haven't tried an overnight cold soak, but have before added dark grains only at the end of the mash, such as this Dry Irish Stout recipe: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27086

That said I haven't brewed both ways back to back and compared, but when adding the dark/roasted grains only at the end the result was smooth.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> All Grain Brewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: