Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Czech Premium Pale Lager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Excellent! Glad to hear the recipe worked out for you!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Swampale

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally brewed this today. Hops? Oh yea, in your face!!

Thanks Kal for the recipe.

Chris
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it!

Kal

codex

Drinking: American Pale Ale, NEIPA, German Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to brew this for my my next (5th) batch on the EB..

I have a question on the amount of yeast required for this recipe. I am not advanced enough to make starters yet, so just pitching the pre packed liquid yeast.

The recipe calls for 8 packets for 10gal. I am intending to use Wyeast 2001 yeast. On the packet it says one pack is enough to ferment 5 gal (100 billion cells). In that case, 2 packs would do for my 10 gal batch. So why does the recipe call for 8 packs (4 packs per 5 gal batch)

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codex wrote:
The recipe calls for 8 packets for 10gal. I am intending to use Wyeast 2001 yeast. On the packet it says one pack is enough to ferment 5 gal (100 billion cells). In that case, 2 packs would do for my 10 gal batch. So why does the recipe call for 8 packs (4 packs per 5 gal batch)

This is a debate that is very old amongst brewing circles. Read this:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2012/11/07/yeast-pitch-rates-explained/

TL;DR: For the the cleanest tasting beers (something that you do want with most lagers) many brewers will suggest much higher than manufacturer suggested pitch rates. That's what I do.

Try a split batch: Do 5 gallons with the manufacturer recommend pitch rate and the other 5 with the pitch rate suggested by many pitch rate calculators like this one I link to in my Yeast Starter guide: https://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

See which you prefer.

For what it's worth, pitching what I consider proper rates is incredibly important to making good beer. More important than anything you'll do on the hot side during the brew day.

Making a starter is very simple and will save you money on the long run. In fact, it only takes a few batches to pay for itself. My step by step is here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668

Good luck!

Kal

codex

Drinking: American Pale Ale, NEIPA, German Pilsner

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for the expert advice as always.

Read the information on yeast, on the links, and it was interesting reading. After what I have read, I don't think I will chance using one pack per 5 gallon, as I would want to get the best results possible after buying ingredients and making the wort. So will go for the 8 packs as in the recipe.

One thing for sure, I need to learn how to make yeast starters, fast.

Will let you know how it turns out

Cheers
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely consider starters if you're considering buying 8 packs. The money you'll save by buying 1 pack instead of 8 will pay for the little bit of extra equipment you need to make starters very quickly. Not to mention that the yeast will be much fresher (i.e. buying 8 packs that are already a bit old may actually be the same as buying 4 packs!).

See my YEAST STARTER guide: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30668
Making yeast starters is very simple. If you already know how to brew, you know how to make a starter.

Kal

Master

Drinking: Naked Singularity Stout, Hurricane Bohemian Pilsner, Pineapple Cider, Ich bin ein Berlinerweiss, AbbyNormal Glutton Free Lambic

Working on: Vienna Lager. Witty name to follow.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a fresh batch of BohPils last week..

Only thing that changed from previous batches was using RO water treated to Pilsen water.

Ca-5 Mg-3 Na-0 SO4-10 Cl-8

Insane amounts of foam during boil.. Basically a never ending hot break. Even a few drops of FermcapS didn't do much.

Longer protein rest in future batches help with that perhaps?

20 min 122F Protien Rest
20 min ramp to Sacch Rest
60 min 152F Sacch Rest
20 min ramp to Mashout
15 min at 168F Mashout

Sparge took 1:30.
Mash pH was 5.44

Final runnings 1.010, pH 5.8.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/bohemian-pilsner

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the beer name everywhere from 'Bohemian Pilsner' to 'Czech Premium Pale Lager' due to the BJCP 2015 name change. Six years too late? Wink

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your timing is perfect in my book...
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm brewing this beer today!

Check out my instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/theelectricbrewery/

Kal

Timothy_W

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I'm brewing this beer today!

Check out my instagram feed: https://www.instagram.com/theelectricbrewery/

Kal

Did the beer taste like real Czech? I was in the Czech Republic, tried beer in family breweries, which are several hundred years old. There, of course, the drink turns out to be incredibly tasty.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy_W wrote:
Did the beer taste like real Czech? I was in the Czech Republic, tried beer in family breweries, which are several hundred years old. There, of course, the drink turns out to be incredibly tasty.

The beer is still conditioning but is already very tasty. No idea how it compares to a "real" Pilsner Urquell bought in the Czech Republic as I've never been there but it certainly tastes like the Czech Premium Pale Lagers I've had here. Actually, I prefer mine.

Kal

Brianbrian88

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any wlp800 or wyeast 2001. Whats a good substitute yeast?
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any WYeast 2001 sub suggestions as it's the true Urquell lager yeast. Everything else will be a bit different so it's a personal choice what to use if you want to sub. I've never done subs with this recipe myself. Give the WY2001 description a read and then choose something based on that: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/wyeast-2001-urquell-lager-yeast

You can certainly make great beer with any other lager yeast, but it may not be a true Czech Premium Pale Lager or have certain Pilsner Urquell characteristics. There are dozens and dozens of "good" lager yeast choices to choose from from other manufacturers. Good luck!

Kal

Timothy_W

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I don't really have any WYeast 2001 sub suggestions as it's the true Urquell lager yeast. Everything else will be a bit different so it's a personal choice what to use if you want to sub. I've never done subs with this recipe myself. Give the WY2001 description a read and then choose something based on that: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/wyeast-2001-urquell-lager-yeast

You can certainly make great beer with any other lager yeast, but it may not be a true Czech Premium Pale Lager or have certain Pilsner Urquell characteristics. There are dozens and dozens of "good" lager yeast choices to choose from from other manufacturers. Good luck!

Kal

Is it really possible to make real Czech beer at home? I think old breweries have their secrets. I have never tasted such delicious beer anywhere except the Czech Republic.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy_W wrote:
Is it really possible to make real Czech beer at home?

Yes. Very soft water, and the same ingredients are available. You can even get the actual Pilsner Urquell yeast (which is what I use).

I suppose you could argue that since it's not made in the Czech Republic that it's not actually Czech beer however, but that's semantics. A bit like how you can't really 'officially' call your beer a kolsch unless it's brewed within the region of Cologne, due to the agreement between members of the Cologne Brewery Association. (Similar to how the name "champagne" can only be used for sparkling wine from the Champagne region of France).

Quote:
I think old breweries have their secrets.

They mostly have experience. There is nothing overly magical or special about making beer. It's incredibly well understood. A brewery that tells you they have secrets that nobody else understands is just praying on consumer ignorance. Like one of the mega brewers that wants you to believe that their beer is special because it's made with "rocky mountain water". Nonsense. That's just them trying to convince that their beer is somehow special, something that no other brewer does or can do, so that you want to buy from them and not others. That's marketing 101.

Kal

Timothy_W

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Timothy_W wrote:
Is it really possible to make real Czech beer at home?

Yes. Very soft water, and the same ingredients are available. You can even get the actual Pilsner Urquell yeast (which is what I use).

I suppose you could argue that since it's not made in the Czech Republic that it's not actually Czech beer however, but that's semantics. A bit like how you can't really 'officially' call your beer a kolsch unless it's brewed within the region of Cologne, due to the agreement between members of the Cologne Brewery Association. (Similar to how the name "champagne" can only be used for sparkling wine from the Champagne region of France).

I was referring to the taste, not the location in which the beer is matured. For some reason, it seems to me that some products are difficult to repeat due to the difference in climatic conditions and types of raw materials.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timothy_W wrote:
I was referring to the taste, not the location in which the beer is matured. For some reason, it seems to me that some products are difficult to repeat due to the difference in climatic conditions and types of raw materials.

I was also referring to taste. Taste is all that matters at the end of the day.

Local climate doesn't make a difference to how you brew on brew day or ferment after. What climate affects is the growing of the raw materials as you mentioned, but luckily brewing ingredients are available for purchase anywhere as materials are all exported/imported. For example, for this beer I use pilsner grain imported from Germany (I like Weyermann). Hops for a Czech premium pale lager need to be be Saaz, and we can buy those imported directly from the Czech Republic. Both are actually very easy to find and available just about anywhere:

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/german-pilsner-malt-1-5-2-1l
https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/czech-saaz-hops

Then as mentioned above, the yeast is the actual yeast from the brewery (WY2001):

https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/wyeast-2001-urquell-lager-yeast

Now that said, ask any 2 brewers (professional or not) to brew the same beer using the exact same ingredients and there will always be subtle differences however. That's normal. That's just their own special signature around the process they use. That's why I also go into much more detail about the process *I* use in *my* recipes so that people can recreate. Things that are normally left out like water adjustment. For a Czech premium pale lager that water needs to be soft (low in minerals) to make the hop bitterness more rounded instead of sharp.

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: