Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sous Vide Homebrewing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avinash

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Sous Vide Homebrewing Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Guys

I am new to This forum

I want to Know about Sous Vide , It will be Great if Somebody can Tell me about this

Is This a New Technique ?

Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sous Vide is a form of cooking. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Quote:
Sous-vide (/suːˈviːd/; French for "under vacuum")[1] is a method of cooking in which food is placed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and cooked in a water bath for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than normally used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C (131 to 140 °F) for meat, higher for vegetables. The intent is to cook the item evenly, ensuring that the inside is properly cooked without overcooking the outside, and to retain moisture.

Sous vide cooking is not new. It's been around for almost 50 years. Simple to use sous vide heating appliances for home use started to appear about 5 years ago. See: https://amzn.to/2WBnVZ0

You can use the brewing equipment and design I've documented on this website to do sous vide cooking as it is able to hold temperature very accurately for as long as you like. No changes are necessary.

Assuming you are using a brewery setup as described on my website, the process is simple:

1. Fill the Mash/Lauter Tun (MLT) with enough water to cover whatever food you are cooking.

2. Fill the Hot Liquor Tank (HLT) with enough water to cover the heating element and HERMS coil.

3. Hook up the hoses like the diagram below from my BREW DAY STEP BY STEP guide, just like you're mashing:

4. On the control panel turn the WATER PUMP and WORT PUMP switches ON. Turn the ELEMENT SELECT switch to HLT. Set the HLT temperature to whatever temperature you want to cook your meat to. The water in the Mash/Lauter Tun will recirculate in the HERMS coil and the temperature will heat up to your desired temperature and hold there. Add the meat to the MLT and cook as long as the recipe calls for.

Once done there is no cleaning required as the food was in a sealed bag such that only water touched the MLT and HLT.

If you're interested in building a brewery as documented on this website (that also does sous vide cooking) start here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/kettles-overview

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Avinash

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal

Great , Thanks for Such a Fantastic Overview , I am Going through it

Will be Publishing a Blog on Multi-Step Mashes Soon & will Share with you

Happy Brewing
Avinash

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Our Writer has Published one Blog on Sous Vide Homebrewing - <website removed>

Read It and Let me If you Like it

Happy Brewing Mug
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used a small Anova sous vide heater to do step mashes? I don't see how this could work very well as it doesn't have a pump strong enough to push through the grain not to mention that it's not actually pushing or pulling through the grain. There's no mention of using a temperature probe to measure the grain bed temperature so I'm assuming that when temperatures are mentioned that they are mentioning the appliance temperature. That is the water temperature and not the grain temperature. So these steps that are mentioned would not have actually worked as they expected.

For example, it's written:

Quote:
Our second step, the saccharification rest, required a rise in temperature to 148F. The Sous Vide preformed this beautifully and accomplished the 26-degree temperature rise in about 5 minutes.

Except that it most likely did not. Or, should I say, the writer is not understanding how this should work and what they are seeing.

I'm assuming that the 26 degree rise was what they saw on the sous vide appliance. This means the that the *water* around the grain raised by 26 degrees in 5 mins, but the grain bed never would have done that. It's the grain temperature that matters. The recirculating device in the sous vide appliance is not able to push the water through the grain bed - that's not what it does. It simply heats the water around the sack. The appliance does not push or pull water through the grain bed so it would take forever to ramp up the actual grain temperature.

Another example: During mashout it's mentioned that went from 148F to 168F and held for 10 mins. What they mean is that the water went from 148F to 168F. By the the time the water reached and held at 168F for 10 mins I doubt the grain bed was even at 160F. It was probably still in the low 150s in the center of the grain bed. The outside would be close to 168F however.

Eventually, yes, set the appliance to (say) 168F and the entire grain bed will reach 168F as the heat would leak into the center of the grain bed in the same way as it does into the food when you cook sous vide, but that takes a long time. So the way the article is written is most likely incorrect/misleading as it makes people think that they can do step mashes using a small appliance like this in a quick/efficient manner.

Redo the experiment with a temperature probe directly in the center of the grain bed and I bet you will see a completely different story and that the steps and temperatures are not behaving at all as you would hope. That's the temp that matters.

This is why brewers use pumps to push water *through* the grain bed, even with recirculating BIAB setups.

An appliance like this can be used to maintain mash temp as it'll eventually get there through the heat seeping through the grain bed. So it's good for a simple single step saccharification rest, but this cannot work well for step mashes, especially short duration ones as is written. You need a properly circulating setup if you want to do steps efficiently.

Good luck!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User Avinash has been deleting for registering with multiple accounts all advertising various homebrew/equipment websites that point to the same physical address in Texas. Links to their online shops have been removed. I had my doubts that this person was yet another offshore 'marketing' company that got hired to spam forums and social media accounts (EDIT: Confirmed by the shop that this is indeed someone from a marketing company out of India). Companies often hire marketing firms to boost their online presence and sometimes this gets offshored, but it usually completely backfires for them and actually hurts their SEO (Google search ranking). I often get panicked emails from companies who didn't realize who they hired, asking me to remove links that these spammers have posted since their Google ranking's going into the toilet ....

Kal

TrainSafe

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These posts had that unique ‘flavor’ of spam. You know, salty and some meat but something is just off.

FWIW, I’ve used my HLT to sous vide several times. Smile
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never actually tried SPAM. Some people really like it! I'll have to add it to my grocery list... Wink

Kal

Walts Malt

Drinking: Two Hearted Clone

Working on: Planning my Fall Brewing Schedule

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAM. That’s funny. My kids still give me crap for making SPAM burgers on my Big Green Egg. Everything seemed like it should work and even used the Lite version where they back off the salt. Was still like a brick of Salt. The recipe was from a legit BGE book so I thought it might work. No such luck.
Kazumichan

Working on: Belgium golden, Dubbel, and imperial red

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time that I can remember eating SPAM was when I was living in Japan. It was SPAM musubi, basically spam sushi. A little slice on a rice ball was pretty tasty.
Homebrewar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPAMtown USA. Home to at least one Electric Brewery. If you end up near Austin, MN stop by and check out the SPAM museum.

https://www.spam.com/museum

Electric Brewery SPAM.jpg
 Description:
DIY 30A Electric Brewery running strong!
 Filesize:  122.01 KB
 Viewed:  7955 Time(s)

Electric Brewery SPAM.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: