Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Recurring infection...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Subliminalfringe

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Recurring infection... Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hello,

I put together a brewery about 2 years ago and it's been great. A few months in I started noticing a phenolic flavor that kept showing up in my beers. I tracked down the problem - something was growing on the impellers of the wort pump. I assumed that when I was first using the brewery I didn't really have a good cleanup process and I likely was negligent at some point. So I baked all the hoses and the CFC in the oven at 275 for an hour. I took the pump housing and impellers and cooked them for an hour in the pressure cooker (surgical sterilization). It worked and I was off happily brewing again. The clean up process that I put in place is as follows: I heat about 12 gallons of water that I recapture during cooling the wort to 180 degrees F while I am cleaning the boil kettle. Then I run the water through the wort pump->CFC->down the drain until the water runs clear. Then I recapture the clear hot water and use it to soak everything that I used for the day in Oxyclean. I use the vacuum to blow water out of the pump and CFC. On the next brew day I run boiling wort through the wort pump and CFC and back to the boil kettle during the last 10 minutes of the boil and get up to over 200 degrees coming out of the CFC. I have been thorough about sticking to this process and the infection has returned. Found some nasty smelling biofilm on the impellers of the wort pump again. So I appear to have a rather resilient house bug. I am hoping to benefit from everyone's experience to help me come up with an effective workflow to eradicate this.

Thanks,

S
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Recurring infection... Reply with quote

Subliminalfringe wrote:
A few months in I started noticing a phenolic flavor that kept showing up in my beers. I tracked down the problem - something was growing on the impellers of the wort pump.

How did you make that connection? Most infections happen on the cold side of the brewing process, not the hot side. Very hard (or almost impossible) to infect anything on the hot side since it's all boiled anyway. Doesn't matter what's on the pump impellers if you boil after.

A phenolic flavor doesn't necessarily mean you have an infection. What does the fermenting beer look like once fermentation is done? Did you see something on the wort that appeared to be infection? Any pics?

What sort of FG did you get as compared to what you expected as the FG? When Brettanomyces or wild bacteria such as lactobacillus (the usual causes of infection) are introduced by error the FG is typically much lower than you expect.

5 most common reasons for phenolic beer: https://beerandbrewing.com/off-flavor-phenolic/

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Subliminalfringe

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kal, thanks for responding,

My process on the cold side hasn't changed over the last 8 years and is pretty solid. Never had an infection when I was BIAB with my 7 gallon kettle.

Then I entered some beers at a competition and the judges picked up the phenolic fault. I have since completed a BJCP class and am very familiar with the flavor that my bug produces. The class has provided me a deeper understanding of where faults occur in the process.

In discussing my issue with the more experienced and knowledgeable members of the home-brew club, the consensus was that the issue was on the hot side. On the first time around with the infection I found some black colored snot on the impeller of the wort pump. Once I sterilized the CFC, hoses, pump everything was great for about 9 months. Last week I tapped a keg for the work holiday party and my first taste revealed my friend was back. I went straight to the pump and there was a biofilm on the impellers again and the inside of the pump housing smelled moldy. I again sterilized everything last week but haven't brewed anything yet. Hoping to find a way to prevent reinfection.

The final gravities are where they are supposed to be. This bug seems to slowly produce its flavor as the kegs lager. The more time that passes the stronger it gets.

Thank you,

S
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really comment about your exact issues but thought I would mention my brew day process, which is slightly different than Kal's.

After the HLT is completely exhausted during the sparge, I fill it with ~ 5 gallons of fresh water. I heat it to 185. During this time the sparge is continuing and ends when I reach my target volume.

Once the HLT is up to temp and the sparge is done, I flush water through the hose that was attached to the MLT to get the obvious wort out. I use my favorite mod from Kal's design for this -- effectively two hose connects connected to a valved hot water and cold water supply. See picture #1.

I then hook that hose up to my second favorite mod -- a diverter for the HLT (picture #2). Using this I flush 185 water through the hose -> mash pump -> hose -> counterflow chiller -> hose to fermenters -> back into the HLT. I run this for 10-15 minutes. Note: I have a 25' silicone hose to go from chiller to the fermenters due to my brewery layout.

I leave the long hose end in the HLT very hot water for the duration of the boil to preserve sanitation.

At this point everything I will hook up to the boil kettle is both quite clean and sufficiently sanitized.

Post brew and fermener transfer, I cycle ~140 degree PBW through the same hose layout for 20 minutes or so, then rinse out (with mod #1).

Hope that makes sense. I haven't had any issues with nasty bugs and when I take apart my pumps occasionally to replace the thrust washers they are very clean, at least in appearance.

mod1.jpg
 Description:
mod 1
 Filesize:  85.23 KB
 Viewed:  10865 Time(s)

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg
 Description:
mod 2
 Filesize:  39.14 KB
 Viewed:  10865 Time(s)

mod2.jpg

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subliminalfringe wrote:
In discussing my issue with the more experienced and knowledgeable members of the home-brew club, the consensus was that the issue was on the hot side. On the first time around with the infection I found some black colored snot on the impeller of the wort pump. Once I sterilized the CFC, hoses, pump everything was great for about 9 months. Last week I tapped a keg for the work holiday party and my first taste revealed my friend was back. I went straight to the pump and there was a biofilm on the impellers again and the inside of the pump housing smelled moldy. I again sterilized everything last week but haven't brewed anything yet. Hoping to find a way to prevent reinfection.

Moldy pumps definitely isn't good, but what I'm getting at is how are you sure the two are related? You've noticed two two flaws (phenolic flavours and gunk in your pump) but that doesn't mean one is the cause of the other. I simply don't want you to be distracted by one issue and assume it's the cause of the other issue. I didn't think bacteria could survive the boiling process anyway.

I've poked around a bit and most seem to say that phenolic issues are not hot side related. Main sources being:

Chlorine in Your Brewing Water (not removing chlorine or chloramine - do you do this? how?)
Chlorine-based Sanitizer (do you use one? Make sure to rinse well)
Yeast (some strains throw phenols - it's normal)
Sparging (reduce tannin extraction, keep temp below 168F, stop sparging at 1.010 [esp if the temp is too high], watch the pH)
Sanitation (look at the cold side - hot side shouldn't matter - you're boiling everything. Wild yeasts and unwanted bacteria may be to blame for smoky and plastic-like flavors, especially if the effect gets worse with time or if the phenolic character is accompanied by acetic or lactic sourness. Look at hard-to-clean pieces of equipment and consider replacing plastic pieces if the issue comes up repeatedly.)

The last one is telling - you could have some old hoses or an old plastic fermenter that just isn't clean.

Source: https://beerandbrewing.com/off-flavor-phenolic/

Good luck!

CHB

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was experiencing the same issue … my beer was developing an aspirin-like taste -- kind of band aid like. I reexamined every aspect of my hot side and realized I wasn't cleaning my plate chiller as well as I should, and I addressed other aspects of my process. The whole exercise was good to go through and I brew better beer for it. But alas, my next beer was the same. The beer tasted "pretty good" when I was kegging it, but I was hopeful. 2 weeks later, it was not great, and 4 weeks, yuk!

Finally I figured it out. I think Kal is right ... the hot side has the advantage of being hot! So if you've got something bad going on there, it will likely be killed or mitigated merely by the heat. I'm almost embarrassed to admit what my issue was, but it was the cleaning on the cold side. I too am using Oxi. I've since resolved my issue and my beer is back to tasting fantastic. The issue for me was twofold. I was using too much Oxi in in my liquid (several scoops for 5 gallons). But the ultimate issue was that I didn't use hot enough water in the rinse. It was just that simple. I believe I was leaving Oxi residue -- as you know it's slippery and clingy -- and I believe some was still in the kegs and in my fermenters due to not hot enough complete rinses.

Sometimes my beer tasted great when I was kegging, or other times it was just “ok” when I was kegging. But after kegging, it would develop the taste. It’s almost a head-slap duh thing – very simple, but very important.

Good luck!
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you figured it out CHB!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the subject but one thing I was thinking about recently was the sight glass. The wort doesn't get hot enough to boil in the sight glass so should we concerned with contamination?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
Off the subject but one thing I was thinking about recently was the sight glass. The wort doesn't get hot enough to boil in the sight glass so should we concerned with contamination?

No. While the temp may be lower it would only be a few degrees, and you've got time on your side. It's a combination of time and temperature that kills bugs. The higher the temp, the faster it happens. It doesn't have to be boiling at 212F/100C. Otherwise only people at sea level would be safe to make beer. Wink Rule of thumb for sterilization is 20 mins at 80C or hotter.

More info: https://www.morebeer.com/articles/sanitizingmethods?a_aid=theelectricbrewery

Kal

Pippicidal

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some total noob input =) Are you pitching enough yeast Subliminal?

Following.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: