Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Belgian Super Saison
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Excellent! Glad to hear you both like it!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Firetech

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suggestions on using fresh raspberries with this recipe?
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firetech wrote:
Any suggestions on using fresh raspberries with this recipe?

Go light. The beer taste is pretty delicate. Easily overpowered by fruit like that. That said, I'm not big into brewing with fruit or additives so no idea how much to add or when. Sorry! Maybe someone else can chime in...

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

Working on: Max's Maibock

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone experience the Saison stall? https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/guide-saisons-and-saison-yeasts (Scroll down to Avoiding the Saison "Stall")
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only brewed this one once, but didn't experience the 'stall'.
See the notes section of the recipe as well for more info on this - I think the trick is in my words here:

Pitch yeast and ferment at 66F for the first 3 days then allow the temperature to rise to 85-90F until complete (raise a few degrees per day). Do not allow temperature to drop.

If you do have issues:

If yeast seems to be stalling, do not be afraid to raise temperature as high as 95F to ensure proper attenuation as this yeast works well at higher temperatures. If the temperature is not raised this way the strain tends to stall out in fermentation at the 75% mark and then sometimes restart as long as two weeks later. Some brewers have had to resort to champagne yeast to finish.

Kal

perogi

Drinking: Perogi Pale, NEIPA, Nutter's Crossing Nut Brown Ale, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter Clone

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal - I'm planning on using that fermentation schedule.

Debating on the "use foil" part of the link I posted. Seems reasonable considering this person's experience with saisons but it's summer and summer means flying critters. I'm not completely convinced that putting foil over the top when it's fermenting will give it enough room to "burp" out the CO2 without gnats getting into the wort/beer.

Last edited by perogi on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That foil/pressure thing doesn't sound plausible to me. I didn't use foil - I used my regular blow-off tubes (as shown in the pics in the recipe).

Kal

Last edited by kal on Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozarks Mountain Brew

PostLink    Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the fly problem in my boil kettle, the other day I fished out 10, for some reason flies and yellow jackets love boiling wort
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flies or other bugs in the boil kettle = no big deal as they get boiled.
Flies or other bugs in the fermenter = much bigger deal as they can infect the beer, especially if it's near the start of fermentation and the alcohol level is low.

Kal

perogi

PostLink    Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
That foil/pressure thing doesn't sound plausible to me. I didn't use foil - I used my regular blow-off tubes (as shown in the pics in the recipe).

Kal

Didn't use foil - current gravity is at 1.002.

Thanks for the post of "don't do something crazy" Smile
Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kal, Long time. My system is still working flawlessly.

I've been chomping at the bit to brew some sours but have concerns about introducing wild cultures to my system.

Any worries about a wild yeast infection? Did you do anything different with your equipment or cleaning procedures?

I've read that diastaticus can be harder to eradicate than bret.

Thanks,

York

"Whisper to Thunder" Jimmy Page
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi York!

Valid question. I didn't do anything special about cleaning, because from what I can tell at the time I brewed this beer there was no mention of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus being a possibility in their WLP565 strain. Fast forward a few months and White Labs was sued by Tired Hands brewing and the following text showed up on a bunch of their yeast pages:

Quote:
**This strain has been genetically typed in our lab using polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Through this genetic testing, we have determined WLP565 Belgian Saison I Yeast to contain the STA1 gene (glucoamylase), a potential indicator of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus. Brewers yeast are natural hybrids, which make it possible for certain strains to display elements of the STA1 gene. These strains have the ability to utilize some dextrins (unfermentable sugars), resulting in higher levels of attenuation than what is considered typical.

At White Labs, we do everything possible to detect for undesired organisms within our process and cultures. The strains we carry with known Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus genetics have been researched and validated to perform without excessive over-attenuating, which is possible through our nearly 25 years of experience paired with internal and external fermentation data.**

My take: They're not saying the strain has Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus, but that it *may*. A CYA move most likely on the part of White Labs.

I've made dozens of batches since this one that attenuated normally so that's good (for those that aren't aware, the presence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus will usually have your beer attenuate considerably lower than you'd expect as it eats through just about anything).

I'd clean/sanitize anything that comes in contact with the yeast very thoroughly, a physical cleaning (not just soak).

Good luck!

Kal

Last edited by kal on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tripel

Drinking: Winter Wit, Kolsch, Flemish Red, Imperial Stout

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kal for the thorough response.

I've read where it is causing headaches for some pro brewers. They're sending bottle bombs out to market thought to be fully attenuated. They say 1 cell of the variant is all it takes to start fermentation of any remaining dextrins in finished beer. Someone posted that it will even ferment old socks and underwear Smile

Others have posted they use it frequently with no cross contamination.

Wyeast indicates it is present in their Belgian Saison:

STRAIN: 3724
BELGIAN SAISON ™

Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus

This strain is the classic farmhouse ale yeast. A traditional yeast that is spicy with complex aromatics, including bubble gum. It is very tart and dry on the palate with a mild fruitiness. Expect a crisp, mildly acidic finish that will benefit from elevated fermentation temperatures. This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90°F (32°C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

This Wyeast yeast strain has been classified as Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus using rapid PCR analysis. This strain carries the STA1 gene, which is the “signature” gene of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. diastaticus and will be found in all diastaticus strains.

What to do...? I just retubed the brewery and Keezer this year. I have a bottle of Saison Dupont to sip tonight and ponder.

Thanks, York

"Whisper to Thunder" Jimmy Page
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. These issues can certainly give a brewer pause!

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recipe has been re-written and moved to our new site.

See: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/pages/belgian-super-saison

This thread will remain open for questions. Cheers!

Kal

mskatz51

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recipe on the website has changed since I first brewed this. More Belgian pilsner malt and another packet of yeast. Anyone have any idea why? I felt it was perfect the way it was. And of course I brewed this one yesterday and my readings were off all over the place. Now granted, I had two wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday, so I am sure I must have missed something in the process.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mskatz51 wrote:
The recipe on the website has changed since I first brewed this. More Belgian pilsner malt and another packet of yeast. Anyone have any idea why? I felt it was perfect the way it was. And of course I brewed this one yesterday and my readings were off all over the place. Now granted, I had two wisdom teeth removed on Tuesday, so I am sure I must have missed something in the process.

Hi!

Sorry about that - had a typo with the pils malt amount (should be 18.25 lbs not 24.5 lbs) when I moved the recipe to the new website. It's now been corrected. Thanks for noticing! The 80% was correct however.

I popped the recipe into my recommended yeast starter calculator and it gave me 701B cells so 7 packs of yeast is correct (assuming they were manufactured within a few days). Previously it did say 6, and that would "work" too. I recommend using a single pack and making a starter as per the YEAST STARTER guide as linked to from the recipe. Much cheaper.

Cheers!

Kal

P.S. I erased the other thread you started separately with the same question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Recipes & Ingredients All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: