Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Vortex fans

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hisnastiness

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Vortex fans Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Howdy everyone,

Been checking out this forum on and off for a couple of years now as lurker (great stuff by the way), but this is my first post. I was wondering if any of you had input on the Vortex line of fans that Kal recommends in his Ventilation section. I'm trying to decide between the VTX600 (6" ductwork) or the newer Vortex S-Line 6-Inch fan. I've already run the external ductwork so I'm locked into 6 inches in that regard, but I haven't purchased a fan yet. This will be used in the traditional electric basement brewery fashion - to vent moisture.

I like the look, mount-ability, and potentially quieter operation of the S-Line, but the VTX600 pushes more CFM (452 vs 347) and seems to be a proven workhorse around here. As of right now, I'm working with about 4500W for my maximum heating power in the brewery so, according the the calculations on Kal's ventilation page, either fan would technically be adequate. Just looking for a little feedback from folks who have either or both of these fans before making a purchase. Any info. is appreciated.

Thanks for taking time to read through this and happy brewing.
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

Over the years some have commented on the newer S-Line. General consensus seems to be that it's quieter. The CFM difference doesn't actually amount to much difference in real world use. More info here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/Vortex-VTX600-6-Powerfan-452-CFM

Good luck!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
Bou

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the S-line 600 2 years ago and I still have no regret! It is very quiet an effective, but as with other fan you need to make sure that there some air coming in for max efficiency (my ebrew setup is located in the garage so I just crack open a window).

Bou

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the s-line 600 with no regrets. Only complaint I have which others have stated with this model is the condensation. I'm not sure if it is because of the slightly lower CFM's or something else. I added a drip rail so it's not really an issue.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the 6" S-line in case anyone wants to support our forum!:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EIRU2YU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=kj4X9&pf_rd_r=RZSNM8EJ2XKJJDRRNF3M&pd_rd_i=B00EIRU2YU&pd_rd_w=E0rD1&pd_rd_r=89e071d3-d0cb-45bb-84b3-dbbe16072350&ie=UTF8&qid=1546531871&sr=2&linkCode=ll1&tag=theelectricbrewery-20&linkId=986d89c160df2c38cd781a07d9058978&language=en_US

Cheers!

Kal

dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=329595#329595

Don't know if this is still for sale or not but worth asking if you're in the market for one.

hisnastiness

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what kind of condensation issues are people running into with this rig? Condensation on the hood, or in the unit itself? I know in Kal's write-up on the regular Vortex he mentions leaving a drain hole in the bottom of the unit. Are y'all doing that with the S-Line?

Thanks again.
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is condensation in the hood. I've got my louvers sloped a bit so the water runs to a drip rail and not back in my wort. So not really an issue for me.
rb1kanobe

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I've owned both. The most noticeable difference between the VTX600 and the S600 is the size and ease of mounting. The S600 isn't as loud as the VTX but it's not a huge difference. The S600 is more compact and the mounting bracket allows you to remove the fan without having to disconnect the duct work. This comes in handy when you are tracing drips from condensation. IMO this is where the VTX has an advantage as the fan housing creates a place for the condensation to pool and be drained off. The S600 interior housing is pretty much a straight tube so there's really no low place for the condensation to drain which in my case resulted in dripping from both ends and the center of the fan within 15 minutes of hitting a boil.

I will say that the VTX600 that I ordered has a sticker on it that states not for wet environments. That being said I'm not sure either fan is really designed for this type of application but some seem to have success with it...hopefully I'm one of them.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum rb1kanobe!

rb1kanobe wrote:
I will say that the VTX600 that I ordered has a sticker on it that states not for wet environments.

It means that the fan can't be installed in an environment or location that may be wet such as outdoors in the rain or snow. They're talking about the NEC / UL requirement. The environment or location is the place the device is installed, not what passes through it.

(NEC) National Electric Code Definition of "wet location": Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

UL Standard 1598 Definition of "wet location": A location in which water or other liquid can drip, splash, or flow on or against electrical equipment. A wet location device shall be constructed to prevent the accumulation of water on live parts, electrical components, or conductors not identified for use in contact with water. A device that permits water to enter the device (during the rain test of Clause 16.5.2 or the sprinkler test of Clause 16.5.3) shall be provided with a drain hole (Clause 13.4.3).

Quote:
That being said I'm not sure either fan is really designed for this type of application but some seem to have success with it...hopefully I'm one of them.

They are designed for this type of application. Read the second page of the flyer, specifically about how a typical use is to remove moisture from kitchens ranges (in a range hood) and bathrooms: http://vortexpowerfans.com/media/57a0fe247b6b4.pdf

I also confirmed with the manufacturer (spoke to their engineers) that the Vortex line of fans is appropriate for use in range hood applications where steam and heat are evacuated.

More in my ventilation article here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/ventilation

Kal

rb1kanobe

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Vortex fans Reply with quote

Thanks Kal! Great forum which has been super helpful for me as I recently made the switch from propane to electric.

The label on the VTX600 fan that I have which specifically states "Not for use in kitchens." I'm probably reading too much into this one label so I appreciate the additional info and reassurance that this is a suitable fan.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a label "not for use in kitchens" is odd. It doesn't follow their own documentation (like the flyer I linked to above) which describes how it's great for use in a kitchen. I'm confused!

Kal

Jerz

Drinking: Rye IPA (brewed a year and a half ago)

Working on: ESB

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a kitchen... it's a brewery...lol.
Head Brewer and #1 Consumer
2dogsBrewing - Canton, GA
VaWineSnob

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an inflatable pool toy with a label that said, "Not for use in or near water."
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Now that's funny. Wink

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Equipment and Setups All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: