Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Cheese Makers...with the Electric Brewery

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Cheese Makers...with the Electric Brewery Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Any cheese makers out there?

I started using my electric brewery to make cheese. Works amazing!! I fill my boil kettle to about 10 gallons or so and then put some pint glasses upside down on the bottom. Next add the milk to my old 5 gallon pot and place in the boil kettle. The glasses keep the pot off the element. I hook up my boil kettle pump to the whirlpool and boil kettle out fittings to recirculate the hot water. Works great!

When I did a Gouda the other day you have to remove some of the whey and add 175 degree water. Being I wired mine up to do back to back batches I can heat water up in my HLT to the 175 degrees.

I'm curious if anyone else is doing this.

IMG_0863.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.53 KB
 Viewed:  10974 Time(s)

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.65 KB
 Viewed:  10974 Time(s)

IMG_0864.jpg

View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I haven't done this myself but there's no reason why it wouldn't work. The Electric Brewery setup is a great way to hold temperature very precisely to do whatever it is you're interested in doing from cheese making to sous-video cooking and so forth.

Another (possibly safer) option is to use the setup as designed by heating in the MLT indirectly through the HLT via the HERMS coil. So put the pot or whatever you're wanting to hold at a very specific temp in the MLT with some water in it instead of the boil kettle. Then put some water in the HLT as well (enough to cover the HERMS coil) and use the two pumps to recirculate same as you do when mashing to make beer. You can use anything you like in the MLT, not just grain. This way there's no chance of whatever you're heating to come in contact with a heating element, no cups or standoffs required, no chance of something slipping or falling over. For sous-vide you'd just through the sealed meat into the MLT with enough water to cover the bags.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought! (pun intended) Smile
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is some value in what you are suggesting. For most of the people that copy your system don't have a whirlpool inlet. So they would need to do as you suggest. With great results I'm sure.

In my case I wanted something as simple as possible. Meaning only one tank, one pump and two hoses to clean. I have also found the EZ boil keeps much better temps than the standard SYL-2352 does. Especially at different liquid volumes. I really like how the EZ boil controller uses a % of the element rather then a time on/off function.

I need to try the meat thing!! My wife would think I'm awesome...lol

kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
In my case I wanted something as simple as possible. Meaning only one tank, one pump and two hoses to clean.

Shouldn't be anything to clean as you only have water in the vessel/hoses/pump. Just drain.

Good to have more than one way to do things however!

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea! Came back from a trip to New Orleans over Christmas and was thinking of a similar use for the electric brewery - making Beignets. I've tried making them with a cast iron pot on my electric stove top but can't get them even close to the ones you can get at Café Du Monde. The problem is that after you make the first batch the oil temp drops quickly for the second batch. The key to making beignets is precise temperature control (and cottonseed oil). The reservation I have from a safety standpoint is that you're heating oil rather than water...but maybe there's a setup that would work...hmmm
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the oil in the MLT and water in the HLT. The oil heats indirectly through HERMS. I have no experience with this but that would certainly be safer than directly heating oil with an element.

Kal

mjo2125

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue is getting oil to 375 deg-f
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok, forget that. I wouldn't want to get oil to 375F in my kettles! Never mind that water can’t go above 212F unless under pressure!

Kal

Equitec

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Tell me DP (very long name), is it tasty with beer? Well, the price, of course, for wholesale and retail?
dp Brewing Company

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equitec wrote:
Hello! Tell me DP (very long name), is it tasty with beer? Well, the price, of course, for wholesale and retail?

Guess I'm confused on what your asking. The cheese is very tasty. We just cut into it for the first time about a week ago. Going to let it age for another few months. Also have a few farmhouse cheddar wheels. Those don't need to age as long.

Are you asking the price to make some cheese or equipment to make some?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: