Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Two-Stage Heat Exchanger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Two-Stage Heat Exchanger Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Thought I'd share my results after tweaking my first two-stage setup.
I decided to eliminate the second chill water tank that relied on gravity flow from an elevated kettle (PITA to regulate flow), to a single chill vessel. I chilled from 210F to 45F with a flow rate of .8GPM with ground water @ 60F (could have got lower temp with slower flow). I even went WOT a couple of times to see how much the temp would raise and to my surprise, it still remained in the mid to upper 50's. I also noticed that the ice bath remained intact with plenty of ice left to knock the wort down to lager pitching temp! I'm sure it will be more challenging in the summer months when ground water is in the 70-80 degree range. Cheers!

Two-Stage Heat Exchange: You'll need two chillers & two pumps.(make sure second chiller is sanitized)

Stage-One: Pump wort from BK thru 1st Chiller using ground water 60F-80F. (this is your knock down stage)

Adjust flow rate. (slower flow rate equals maximum heat exchange)

Stage-Two: Setup a 15-20 gallon ice bath. I use my MT . (recirculate @ WOT),

Monitor temp and adjust flow rate for target temperature.

Option B: glycol chiller, second stage only!

Last edited by Tennessee on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something you plan on doing year round or just summer months?
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Tennessee

PostLink    Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp Brewing Company wrote:
Is this something you plan on doing year round or just summer months?

I struggled for 30+ years to even come close to cooling my wort to lager pitching temps various methods. I finally came up with a full proof solution. I'll be using this method every time I brew a lager (year round). I already had an extra chiller so it was just a matter of hooking the chillers in series, throw some ice in the MT and cool the boiling wort to the low 30’s if I so choose. Hint: if you want to recovery all the precious liquid in the hoses, chillers, pump, and, sight glass, just push a little CO2 thur the cold side just before your chiller. If your filling your fermenter from the bottom, just close the valve once the line is cleared. Cheers 🍻

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with a simpler two stage cooling approach that I have been using during the summer months that works great. Just wanted to chime in.

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=332353#332353

Cheers,

S
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a glycol chiller so I just purchased another CFC and run the tap water through it. I use Glycol to chill that tap water before it goes to the main CFC. I always whirlpool going through the CFC and back into the kettle. After the wort gets below 140 degrees I kick on the glycol chiller to the pre chiller (CFC). Seems to work pretty good.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> Brewing Techniques All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: