Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Control Panel Sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daboyce67

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Control Panel Sound Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but all of a sudden (last couple times I've turned on the control panel) I am getting a loud hum/whine sound coming from it. Almost like one of the alarms but considerably louder. I've checked all the switches and everything (alarms, pumps, heating elements) is in the "Off" position.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Can we get some more details on your panel? Is it one purchased here? What model? Pre-built or kit? When was it purchased and/or built?

Any pictures of the insides? Or better yet a video that shows the noise? Sometimes the laminations in transformers/relays/contactors can hum. It doesn't do anything bad but can be annoying. Seeing a picture of the insides can help pinpoint which of the parts it may be as different control panel models will use different parts that can be caused by this (if that's in fact the issue). Carefully pressing on the problem part with an insulated screwdriver or wooden spoon (or anything hard that is insulated) while the unit is on can let you pinpoint the issue as you can sometimes feel it or the pitch may change when you press on it.

Cheers!

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (21 photos)
daboyce67

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a followup, although when you open the door to investigate, the sound is so loud it is a bit difficult to isolate where it is coming from, it appears to be from the area of the adjustable power supply. Does that make sense?
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be one of the two power supply transformers? See my comment above that you may have missed.

Kal

daboyce67

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Control Panel was purchased from your site within the past year or so pre-built. I'm trying to provide a movie and will forward it to you as soon as I can.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm sure it's something simple. If it's oscillating laminations it may be difficult (near impossible) to tell from a video where it's happening. With the panel off you could try disconnecting one power supply transformer at a time from either the HOT or NEUTRAL bus temporarily to isolate which of the two it is (if that's the issue). Replacement parts are available in our store.

I reverse looked up your forum name in the hopes you purchased under the same email address and I see it was a Standard 30A Electric Brewery Control Panel purchased pre-assembled that we shipped to you in November 2016.

Kal

kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been having offline conversations but I figured I'd post here too to close the loop:

It was found that it was the POWER IN CONTACTOR that has laminations that are vibrating. Generally harmless but some of the flat metal plates in the core (called laminations) may be loose if not enough glue was used to hold them together. The magnetic flux passing via the core acts on the laminations causing them to vibrate. Happens in rare occasions on all definite purpose contactors, relays, transformers, or anything with a core made of sandwiched plates.

If it's annoying, the part can be replaced. In this case the one used here is: https://shop.theelectricbrewery.com/collections/ssrs-relays-contactors/products/50a-250v-dpdt-contactor-120v-ac-coil

Sorry for the troubles!

Kal

daboyce67

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's beyond annoying. I just ordered the replacement and will take a picture of the installed one to insure I know which wires go where. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that you had any troubles at all to begin with! Though unfortunately they do happen on rare occasions. I think we've had 2-3 of these lamination vibration issues over the years out of 1000's of contactors/relays sold. So consider yourself one of the special/elite. Wink

Kal

daboyce67

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Just an update. Received the contactor/relay this afternoon, installed it, and the unit is now silent - quiet as could be. Thanks for the help and hopefully I won't be a member of the special/elite again for awhile - at least not in that realm. Thanks again.
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Glad to hear that solved your issues. Happy brewing!

Kal

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> TheElectricBrewery.com Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: