Return to TheElectricBrewery.com
  [ Shop ]   [ Building ]   [ Using ]   [ Recipes ]   [ Testimonials ]   [ Gallery ]   [ FAQ ]   [ About Us ]   [ Contact Us ]   [ Newsletter ]

Log inLog in   RegisterRegister   User Control PanelUser Control Panel   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   MembershipClub Memberships   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums   Forum FAQForum FAQ

Sani Clean got sucked into my conical

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Sani Clean got sucked into my conical Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So I just realized last night that my conical sucked about 2-3 pints on 5 Star Sani Clean through the blow off tube. I cold crashed the beer down to 35F using a glycol pump mod. Previously I had cold plates installed that took so damn long to cool (and certainly couldn't crash to 35F) so I never worried about such an accident.

I've gotten Star San in my beer before and it turned out fine. Isn't Sani Clean essentially the same thing without the foaming agent? I shot an email to 5 Star awaiting a response on whether I should pour the beer (because I could get someone sick) or just package, carb and serve it up.

Got an email back from 5 Star and said (legally speaking) I should dump it because they couldn't say whether or not the beer would be safe for consumption.

Thoughts?
kwdriver

Drinking: Munich Helles, Schwarzbier

Working on: Guinness clone, Vienna Lager

PostLink    Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE! I dumped all the beer from the conical but took a picture during the process. I plan on making a sign to put on my conicals that says NEVER AGAIN along with the picture of beer running down the drain.
dp Brewing Company

Drinking: Chocolate Taco, Raspberry Mango Cider, American X, Sandy Dunes

Working on: Nothing

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe install a one way check valve. You would just need some way to remove it easily for doing transfers.
View user's photo album (3 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

Drinking: Pub Ale, Electric Creamsicle, Mild, Pliny the Younger, Belgian Dark Strong, Weizen, Russian Imperial Stout, Black Butte Porter

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to not cold crash until you've got gas connected. That's what I do.

Kal

My basement/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (21 photos)
mvakoc

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
Another option is to not cold crash until you've got gas connected. That's what I do.

Kal

+1. I put 3-5 PSI during the cold crash to prevent this exact problem.

Early on I had a pliny clone that was crashing and my 1.5" blowoff tube had star san sucked up about 3/4 of the way to the top discharge point. The blowoff in the canister was far from clean looking. To relieve the pressure I pulled the tubing out of the bucket of star san -- causing air to enter and pull some of it into the top of the conical.

I'm not sure how much got in and I did drink the beer without noticing any issues, but from that point on I disconnected the top side to ensure the fluid drains down.

Now, as mentioned, I attach C02 pressure and remove the blowoff when crashing anything more than a few degrees.
champ

PostLink    Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I've gotten Star San in my beer before and it turned out fine." Early on we had the same thing happen. Beer seemed fine. We called it our "secret ingredient". My son and I are still breathing! Since solved the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    TheElectricBrewery.com Forum Index -> General Beer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: